E46 Audio options

NVP

NVP

Soldato
fit a line output converter to the oem head unit and get a decent amp

"a line output converter"? What be this mythical thing an how does it improve an already crappy signal? Without having a good audio signal to begin with I can't see how you can tidy it up...

Also, price doesn't really matter to me as long as it looks and sounds good so if what you say is correct I'm game.

Permabanned
I don't find mine has a crappy signal at all through my amp, you probably have a different head unit to the ones I have tried. Plenty of people have used line output converters to good effect, I'll dig up some threads tomorrow.

Edit: there is a lot of info here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=245914

If your car audio place said you have a really crappy OEM headunit though I guess it could be worth getting a different one. What make is yours?

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I guess Cardiff doesn't share the breezy weather we have down here then. I drive home with my windows open, blasts of cold air all round with a hint of heat on the top vents and hot air in the footwells.

Soldato
OP
Fitted my Pioneer over the weekend and I must say that things sound largely more 'musical' but although I have tweaked the HU settings to some extent, I still feel there is something lacking.

For the moment though, I think I am going to stick with this setup and play about with the settings some more but will eventually change the speakers too.

One thing I noticed is that there really is not a lot of room in that dash, it was a VERY tight fit getting things squeezed in behind the HU!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
It is pretty tight in there aye ¬_¬

The audio options, I am assuming your HU has similar options to mine so in your AUDIO options menu do you have an EQ1 and EQ2 menu? EQ2 controls the frequency range options and when I changed these to wider values the sound changed for the better and then I enable STR to a value of 2 (max) which further improved treble and bass. It's all being done via the built in amp so there's no distortion so give those a try.

Also if you have a BASS option in the main menu I have it set to a value of 4 and set the BASS onscreen slider in EQ 1 menu to 0.

Soldato
OP
It is pretty tight in there aye ¬_¬

The audio options, I am assuming your HU has similar options to mine so in your AUDIO options menu do you have an EQ1 and EQ2 menu? EQ2 controls the frequency range options and when I changed these to wider values the sound changed for the better and then I enable STR to a value of 2 (max) which further improved treble and bass. It's all being done via the built in amp so there's no distortion so give those a try.

Also if you have a BASS option in the main menu I have it set to a value of 4 and set the BASS onscreen slider in EQ 1 menu to 0.

I will have a check when I finish work, thanks. I can't remember off hand whether there were 2 EQ controls, though there definately is 1 but I don't remember any range settings, hmm. There are also LPF/HPF frequency controls + bass, subwoofer mode, etc etc

What is you HU by the way?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Low pass and high pass filter options can remain default if you don't have a sub to pass through (also can disable SUBW in its own menu too). It's really the EQ2 and STR + BASS menus that really changes the sound.

Oh yeah, DEH-5000UB is what I have. I'll get the exact values as I think your HU has the same options.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom