depression and a new treatment on NHS

Soldato
I am currently taking 4 different medicines which make me feel like a zombie, one anti-depressant, one anti-anxiety drug, one beta-blocker and one anti-pyschotic which helps me sleep.

The meds you'r on won't cure you and the imbalances that are causing your depression WILL manifest in another form.

Depression can be beat without medication if you meditate several times a day, switch to a vegetarian or vegan diet and drink only fresh mountain spring water. Also do yoga and qi gong daily. After 3 months you will feel much happier.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm glad you're not a doctor!

Ok ignore my advice and listen to the doctors who'll keep riamu on meds for the rest of his life. Depression is caused by imbalances in the psyche and you can't cure these imbalances with drugs. You can only dull there effects.

All the treatments i've listed are free so what's the harm in trying them?

Surely it's worth giving it a go when the only other prospect is spending the rest of your life needing constant expensive and often damaging drugs and treament?

Last edited:
Permabanned
I actually agree with magick.

Beating depression is not about pills and therapy, its about sorting your own head out and dealing with your own demons/issues YOURSELF.

Dont expect someone else to do it for you or give you pills that will take it away, will never happen.

Soldato
If that becomes your last resort, then you might consider the following.

It is perfectly legal for a citizen of this nation to be known by whatever name he or she chooses, and the guidelines surrounding a change of name include a list of organisations & people you should inform of the change, including any G.P. one is registered with.

However, there isn't actually anything in place to legally enforce this notification process... (Though obviously you must inform HMRC or you'd not be able to be employed above board!)

If you were to present yourself to a new G.P., under a new legally acquired name, and conveniently 'forget' any reference numbers (what is it called, N.H. number?) they request upon registration (and subsequently putting off producing the information if they remind you to provide it after registration), you would in fact not be doing anything against the law.

Nice one
Break the law
Lie to the new doctor
Try to get a treatment which he can't afford but reckons the rest of us should pay the 20000 pounds to fund

Sorry, my taxpayer pounds are better spent elsewhere

-edit, gah necrothread!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Have you tried Seroxat?

If he's had ECT I think it's a safe bet he's tried the 1st line anti-depressants. ;) Ketamine looks promising though, if you can get on a trial of it.

riamu, have you tried other anti-depressants like Bupropion, Tianeptine and Mirtazapine?

Last edited:
Associate
CBT is probably the biggest medical joke I've ever experienced. It's so false the very nature of it makes it pointless. Reciprocal questions and answers from two parties that don't want to tell or know the truth.

yup that was also my experience summed up. It could be a good treatment if they linked it to the persons psycological condition and circumstances. But they dont and its intentional.

Its the most cost effective therapy though and if you succesfully complete the course you will be considerd cured. There are lots of other therapies but this one is time limmited and simple and easy to implement so it gets disproportionate amounts of funding and its blanketed on to everyone.

Its its interesting that more treatments are prescribed based on diagnosis alone and not on a persons condition.

its effective because people are schooled into reporting that their situation has improved. The pressure they put on people to slant their answer's is massive. And insight is discoranged. That was not the origional intent of CBT but its open to abuse by pressured organisations and government agenda's.

It is a societal intervention that treats the diagnosis not the causes of the illness. its an attempt to reduce the case loads. Actually a very political treatment. I am glad that I am getting better treatment now.

Last edited:
Associate
Hi, not sure if anyones suggested this but first i'd get a second opinion also i'd do some research to find if there are any trials currently or planned.

Deleted member 61728

D

Deleted member 61728

The asian(Japanese,Chinese etc) diet + meditation + cbt goes along way maybe not curing depression but it does help.

How do people deal with depression in countries that cant afford anti depressants ?

Soldato
I actually agree with magick.

Beating depression is not about pills and therapy, its about sorting your own head out and dealing with your own demons/issues YOURSELF.

Dont expect someone else to do it for you or give you pills that will take it away, will never happen.

So do I actually.

This issue though is personal, and different things work for different people. The strong anti-dep. meds they gave me didn't work and I (it was most unpleasant) battled it myself and have got better, but haven't solved my probs. Went to my first therapy (not CBT) session today after refusing/putting it off/thinking i was being fobbed off four years ago. It helped and I was told I could pay £10 per session at some place (will find the name if it helps the OP) for continuing therapy and was told that I am the type who responds well to therapy (not drugs).

I'm really sorry to hear about your situation OP, and really and sincerely hope that you manage to find the help you need and to overcome your problem.

As said before, I'd get in touch with PCT.

All the best.

Associate
The asian(Japanese,Chinese etc) diet + meditation + cbt goes along way maybe not curing depression but it does help.

How do people deal with depression in countries that cant afford anti depressants ?

true, I suppose CBT has value in the right circumstances, I just wish people were told the truth if a treatment is too expencive instead of being put into CBT which might not be right for them and make things worse or told that a expencive treatment that might help will not work.

CBT, can make people worse too if they are patronised by it.

Deleted member 61728

D

Deleted member 61728

I didn't just mean the Japanese diet i meant that part of Asia as a whole.Having one of the most healthiest diets in the word that must go someway to improve clarity,sanity of mind after all you are what you eat right ?

Back
Top Bottom