Which Monitor?

Associate
Im looking to upgrade my monitor in a few weeks and unsure what to go for. My current monitor is a Dell 2007WFP A03 (1680x1050), which ive had for a good few years and clocked up nearly 30,000 hrs. Its still going strong but i got a 5870 a month or so ago and want to get back into PC gaming abit and get some use from my new card (dont know why i got it really?). I was originally thinking of a Dell U2410

I have then thought about going eyefinity and getting another 2 2007WFP. But i cant find them anywhere. Looked on the auction site and found a couple of the Dell 2007FP (1600x1200) at around £200. But if they dont match my current monitor in size (height) it would annoy me. From the measurements on there i dont believe they would.

So i then looked into the Dell 2209WA for eyefinity. Which i could get next month. I would want to eyefinity 3x U2410s but it will take me longer for me to buy those and i dont know if i would get round to it. Im also only playing through Crysis/Warhead and BFBC2 so do i really need eyefinity. I also do some photo processing etc so the main reason of wanting an IPS screen, and also because mine has been so good this far. But do i need the wide gamut of the U2410 considering i have my camera set to sRGB?

So i guess it comes down to

Eyefinity setup now with 3x 2209WA or
U2410 for 1920x1200 gaming (and probably forget about eyefinity)

This is also my first ATI card I have always gone nVidia before now. My next card could then be nVidia which would make 3 monitors for eyefinity pointless. (unless nVidia support 3 monitors from one card)

:confused:

Soldato
Howabout the HP ZR24W? Here is a review.

This monitor is e-IPS (H2-IPS), 24in 1920x1200 res and covers 97% sRGB (which will likely be better for you than the wide gamut ones). It also has a displayport connector - making eyefinity easy if you ever want to go down that path.

Alternatively, the 2209WA is still a good monitor (though not quite as good as the HP for colours) but if you wanted to go for eyefinity you would need to buy an expensive active displayport adapter.

Associate
OP
Thanks, i have looked at that aswell. Im gonna read the reviews properly of both monitors on there, as ive only read bits from them both.

How would the wide colour gamut of the dell affect me if i was to use just the srgb preset. Or calibrate it myself.

Soldato
The sRGB preset is decent on the U2410 and after calibration you shouldn't have any problems. So I wouldn't worry about it being wide gamut - focus on the other aspects that are important to you. TFT Central have a good review.

Associate
OP
Finally decided on the Dell. I would have went for the HP but i think its a little ugly.

The Dell arrived today. It dwarfs my 2007wfp didnt expect it to seem this big.
Anyway there are no dead pixels and from what i can see there doesnt seem to be any of the tinting issues.

I was worried about it having the tint after reading pages and pages about it, which you shouldnt really have to do for £410. Its a March 2010 (Czech).

Back
Top Bottom