• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Official 5830 Thread!

Soldato
I looked but couldn't find one! Looks like they've been such a flop so far due to the pricing that no-one has been interested.

I found one online on sale anyway, so it's arriving on Monday! So thought I'd post this up. This thread is for anything really, reviews, benchmarks, overclocking, pictures. Basically any 5830 related stuff.

ATI Reference Example

ATI-Radeon-HD-5830-Graphic-Cards-Picture.jpg

Reviews/Benchmarks etc

PowerColor HD5830 PCS+ Unboxing.

Video review with lots of benchmarks.

Review of the Powercolor PCS+ 5830

Nice overclock of a Sapphire 5830.

Comparison with the upcoming nVidia 465.

5830s in Crossfire - Interestingly some of the result show the scaling to be greater than 100%.

5830s in Crossfire Again - This time similar results, with crossfire scaling sometimes going above 100%

Pics of mine.

New updated pics of mine.

Results of my Crossfire benchmarking.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well now the prices are dropping (albeit elsewhere only!), I think it's going to be a proper contender now. I paid £164 for mine, £172 including postage, whereas a 5850 is around £240 at the cheapest and the 5770 £110, so at around £160 it fits in nicely if you ask me.

Can't wait until it arrives, my 4670 blew me away when I got that because before the spec in my sig I had a Socket 478 P4 HT powered thing with a NVidia 5200A, so I've got pretty high hopes. :D

Caporegime
Yes, at that price its a worthy addition to someones system. I think they overclock well so it will give you 4890 and well beyond performance with the added benefit of dx11. I expect the temps should be pretty cool as well.

Soldato
I have to say...after looking around for a while, all the £220-£230 price range 5850 are pretty much out of stock everywhere. If want to buy any decent brand 5850 it would now cost £240 upward.

Now that the 5830 has pretty much dropped to £150-£160 price range, they do seem to be a good choice for people that want something a bit better than 5770, but not having to make a big jump of over £100 extra in price.

Soldato
OP
Those are both the reasons I went for one. The 5770 would probably have been fine, but I wouldn't have got one of the £110 ones, it would have to have been one of the overclocked ones like the XFX AVP Edition or the XXX Edition, which are £140-150. The 5850 on the other hand is £240 without postage for the cheapest models in stock, and more like £260 for the overclocked models.

The 5830 on the other hand was £164, and it's an overclocked one anyway. :p

EDIT: If you fancy watching an unboxing video.... I find these pretty funny at times, but it kills time I suppose. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mCHSlQ-r6g

Last edited:
Soldato
Well now the prices are dropping (albeit elsewhere only!), I think it's going to be a proper contender now. I paid £164 for mine, £172 including postage

yeah i saw that offer as well, now worth paying that price for especially as from the reviews it overclocks pretty well over the already raised speeds too :)

Soldato
OP
yeah i saw that offer as well, now worth paying that price for especially as from the reviews it overclocks pretty well over the already raised speeds too :)

It does look like a very good deal to me, time will tell though I suppose. You could get two and run CF for roughly £330, which is 5870 money but the CF 5830 will probably thrash a single 5870. You also get to have two big manly looking cards to make you feel cool...

Last edited:
Soldato
OcUK probably have to shift their remaining stock before they can get a new shipment for a cheaper price.

You could get two and run CF for roughly £330, which is 5870 money but the CF 5830 will probably thrash a single 5870. You also get to have two big manly looking cards to make you feel cool...

2 5830s would absolutely own a single 5870.

Soldato
OP
494W peak power draw for crossfire is kinda worrying, on their bare bones system aswell, every component in my system draws more power than the test system I think. If I were to overclock aswell, I could easily end up pushing my 650W PSU to the limit. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ah I see. I'll bench it myself when it arrives anyway and see what it draws. CF is a long way off anyway, going from a 4670 to a 5830 will be a big enough jump for me for now. :p

EDIT: The Antec power supply calculator reckons I should use at least a 620W PSU, and that's when running an overclock, which I don't any more, so looks like 650W should be fine.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm in!!!

I got mine for £100 from a friend who believed all the bad press. He just wanted rid as he bought a 5870 and he has too much money anyway so I was happy to buy and replace my GTX 280 (which I sold for £155!). Don't miss CUDA or PhysX - the advantages were minor in my gaming rig and I never really noticed PhysX unless I was looking for it.

So far very impressed - the Powercolor one with the full 5870 PCB, heatsink with four copper heatpipes and huge VRM cooler runs cool and quiet. It may be a 5870 reject, but a 5870 is a powerful card. Shame about the 16 ROP's, would have preferred 20 or 24, but lets see how it does going into the future.

Let's get some respect at this new price point! We need benches, overclocking results, impressions, improvements from different drivers and of course 4890/last gen comparisons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom