• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

***The Official Core i7 Overclocking Thread***

Associate
Whats your batch number?
That does seem a little odd,failing at even 3.8....you might need to reseat the heatsink/reapply thermal paste

Ok batch number = 3951A807 - had a look on t'internet but no one has mentioned that batch so far.

Here's a screenie of a stable 3.5GHz OC - you'll notice the high voltages for that OC, anything lower and it wont load.

PpJTx.png

Just gonna reboot now so I can get my bios settings.

Permabanned
Ok batch number = 3951A807 - had a look on t'internet but no one has mentioned that batch so far.

Here's a screenie of a stable 3.5GHz OC - you'll notice the high voltages for that OC, anything lower and it wont load.

PpJTx.png

Just gonna reboot now so I can get my bios settings.

i know its a pain butif you can take pictures of your bios and upload here i will take alook,also if you have time reapply thermal paste using a thin card evenly all over.Dont use a 22x multiplyer,it can be unstable,use the 21x as it seems to better for the majority.

Edit:Take a look at this 930 thread,its very interesting and educational when overclocking witrh many batch numbers listed.

Last edited:
Associate
I've overclocked my i7 to 4.0 ghz. (Ex58-Ud5, Patriot Extreme performance Ram)

Do these voltages look ok??

CPU vCore 1.28
CPU PLL 1.8
QPI/Vtt 1.355
DRAM 1.65

Associate
i know its a pain butif you can take pictures of your bios and upload here i will take alook,also if you have time reapply thermal paste using a thin card evenly all over.Dont use a 22x multiplyer,it can be unstable,use the 21x as it seems to better for the majority.

Edit:Take a look at this 930 thread,its very interesting and educational when overclocking witrh many batch numbers listed.

Cheers, muchos fiddling about with the BIOS later, I seem to have a stable 4GHz clock at 1.28v. Temps are much lower now too because of voltage - IBT can only get my cores up to 69C. I guess the next step is to tighten the memory timings, but ill leave that for now. Oh- and I did switch to 21x only, so its 191x21.

Permabanned
I've overclocked my i7 to 4.0 ghz. (Ex58-Ud5, Patriot Extreme performance Ram)

Do these voltages look ok??

CPU vCore 1.28
CPU PLL 1.8
QPI/Vtt 1.355
DRAM 1.65

Is it a 930 or 920?Those Voltages look fine except the qpi/vtt looks little high,i have my qpi set to 1.25 for 4ghz on my 930...try 1.25 or 1.30.I only use 1.30 for 4.2 which im currently running stability tests,will post results soon.

Permabanned
Cheers, muchos fiddling about with the BIOS later, I seem to have a stable 4GHz clock at 1.28v. Temps are much lower now too because of voltage - IBT can only get my cores up to 69C. I guess the next step is to tighten the memory timings, but ill leave that for now. Oh- and I did switch to 21x only, so its 191x21.

To be honest i dont think intelburn test stresses the stability as much as linx or occt or prime overnight,i always run all stability tests to be 100% sure,not that it will matter in gaming.

Permabanned
can you lower the cpu pll voltage? i can get mine to 1.3v at 4 ghz

Run some stability tests...Cpu Pll is normally ok to leave on auto,however i do go manual of about 184 as when your benching the voltage jumps up to about 188 anyhow,it fluctuates so dont take it too high,i also only tend to go manual on this when im really pushing the cpu to its limit(4.2+HT on) as instability is more likely to arise,hence finer tweaker as in going manual.

Associate
I always set everything to manual, the cpu pll voltage has no effect on my chip except it increases tempratures very slightly with higher voltages. 1.3v is stable running prime 95 and LinX. I have gone to 1.88v when overclocking to 4.4 ghz but have not tested to see if the voltage can be dropped at that speed.

the qpi vtt voltage will depend on what speed the memory is at, my chip needs 1.6v qpi/vtt as Corsair recommends for Uncore of 4000mhz (2000mhz memory) but that destroys my prosessors overclock because of more heat. 1600 is enough at 1.35v qpi/vtt.

Permabanned
My latest OC at 4.2ghz fully stable with HT on....i reckon i could take this chip to atleast 4.3 with HT on maybe even higher.With HT off i reckon i could go 4.5+

Prime 95....8 hours
prime42stable9hrs.png

Linx 20 passes
42linxstable20passmem24000.png

IntelBurn test 50 passes
intelburntest4250passes-1.png

Occt(Linpack) 2 hours
occt2hrs42-1.png

Next im going to push for 4.3 possibly higher,then ill try and see with HT off,i have a good chip from a good batch,i knew this before i even opened the 930 cpu box as i researched batches before i bought it.

Associate
Are any i7 930's doing 4ghz+ with less than 1.3 vCore?

(Edit: nm, answered my own question going back a few pages ...)

Last edited:
Associate
Just got my RE3 and doing some testing now. Starting off with the memory - G.Skill Tridents, got them clocked at 2006MHz @ 1.44V, just passed memtest with no errors.

However I am having a bit of bother with the QPI voltage, may just be a BIOS bug as it's only just come out? Anyone got any ideas? - Manually setting it to 1.3~V and it is defaulting to 1.5~V :confused:

Soldato
Just got my RE3 and doing some testing now. Starting off with the memory - G.Skill Tridents, got them clocked at 2006MHz @ 1.44V, just passed memtest with no errors.

Memtest is nearly useless on the x58. Your ram is rated at 1.65v at 2000, the chances of it running stable in windows at 1.44v is about zero or below.

Associate
Memtest is nearly useless on the x58. Your ram is rated at 1.65v at 2000, the chances of it running stable in windows at 1.44v is about zero or below.

I'm fully aware tat Prime95/IBT/OCCT is much better, I am just starting off with memtest as it is the "lightest". Slowly but surely :)

EDIT: It's also rated at 1.6V @ 2000, not 1.65V.

Last edited:
Associate
Just passed a memtest round with the following settings:

Frequency: 2006MHz
CAS: 7-9-9-24/98
Command Rate: 1T
Voltage: 1.44425

Running Prime95 now, ecounted an error, going to try and losen up timings, if it is still unstable I will then start to boost up the voltage. But very impressive voltages if you ask me considering the stock voltage is 1.6, and this 1.44 is passing memtest and booting into Windows. I am betting I will end up at around 1.48-1.5V to make it stable.

EDIT: Well I can't go any futher, I think there is a bug with the current BIOS, people with the newer BIOS on XS forums seem to be having much better luck with it so I will wait until the BIOS is official before I continue. I did get the memory stable on 1.45V under LinX with the specs above and I went futher to tweak the more advanced timings. The problem however lies with the QPI/DRAM voltage, which even under default XMP settings jumps straight to 1.55V which is silly.

I also got a Prime95 stable 3.36GHz OC on only 1.1V which is pretty good!

Last edited:
Permabanned

agree,set dram 165 as standard,qpi about 130 and vcore about 127 for a 4ghz oc estimate...turn off all the other crap...speedstep,turbo,etc...get it stable then you can fine tune later or go higher than 4ghz

Edit:make sure ich voltage is about 115,this helps with stability.

Last edited:
Associate
My latest OC at 4.2ghz fully stable with HT on....i reckon i could take this chip to atleast 4.3 with HT on maybe even higher.With HT off i reckon i could go 4.5+

Prime 95....8 hours
prime42stable9hrs.png

Linx 20 passes
42linxstable20passmem24000.png

IntelBurn test 50 passes
intelburntest4250passes-1.png

Occt(Linpack) 2 hours
occt2hrs42-1.png

Next im going to push for 4.3 possibly higher,then ill try and see with HT off,i have a good chip from a good batch,i knew this before i even opened the 930 cpu box as i researched batches before i bought it.

How come your I7 930 GFlops is lower on both IBT and LinX compared to my 920 @ 4.2 OC?

Back
Top Bottom