Bleeeh insurance oddity

Soldato
So being the straight up chap I am and being under the assumption less milage = less risk I phoned up to sort out my renewal due at the end of this month.

Unemployed and back to a 5,000 limited mileage, SDP only policy to reflect my employment status.

Limited mileage brings the policy down....but being un-employed puts it up. Apparently having no job is seen as high risk. :o

+ £100 on last years policy. Time to shop around which is, according to my telephone representative, the only way the quote will come down with a price match.

Why is being un-employed seen as high risk? No commuting, no parking outside of garage at home, less mileage, less...well..everything. More....???? I pay annually so it's not like they are at risk of me defaulting on payments.

Eitherway, the quote is still pretty decent but suffice to say I am unimpressed with a ~15% price hike with the job change and limited mileage. Now I have to tell them I am un-employed and probably take a price hike if I leave it on unlimited without the 5K to cancel it out.

Bah!

Soldato
OP
Seeing if there is anything I can non-fraudulently say other than un-employed.

Do I actually need a company/to be registered with anything/have any proof to be self-employed? Or would that follow the same profiling anyway?

Soldato
The insurance companies seem to ascociate employment as a "sign of maturity", and probably also "less likely to take risks which may lose said job". General nebulous insurance company theories basically.

Soldato
It's nothing to do with conscious decisions and judgements about unemployed people - there's not someone in a darkened room deciding that unemployed people are immature.

It's simple statistics, unemployed people are more likely to crash....simple really

Soldato
OP
What dictates permanent employment? If I only get work every now and then I am not perm?

Not interested in fronting but being between jobs shafted on being type-casted as a reckless unemployed type is taking the biscuit.

If building websites is classified as employment then I'll declare that assuming I meet the "criteria" for permanent (self) employment.

Caporegime
how expensive would it be if your insurance company checked everybody's employment status and checked everybody was registered as self employed

HR departments of large companies would never do anything but run these checks.

Unless your planning on becomming a life long dole dosser, id just tell them your a web designer and have done with it.

Associate
How expensive would it be if he loses the back end of his "Jap Rev Machine" and causes £50,000 of damage and his insurance checks to see if he's self employed ? :D

Worth the risk for 1 phone call? I think not!

Soldato
If you are unemployed then are you claiming benefits? If you say you are self employed and have to make a claim, how easy is it for the insurance company to contact the DHSS or whatever it is now. Mind you, I made a claim 3 years ago and at no point was I quizzed about anything on the form.

Caporegime
HMRC require you to register within 3 months

if he's actively job seeking now, and doesnt envisage staying unemployed for longer than 3 months, then its entirely possible he's not got around to register yet, he doesnt have to till after 3 months

equally, if your only going to be unemployed for a short while, i wouldnt bother claiming benefits either. I didnt when i was finished being a student. Cant be bothered to turn up through hoops and made to apply for jobs i dont want to apply for. I'll get a job, but on my terms thanks.

Alternatively, do what i did shortly after leaving uni - get a job at an employment agency.

even if they only send you one shift a week, your still employed. Because its an agency, its non committal, so enables you to earn money while you search for a proper job. I only did about 2 months of agency work before i found something.

Associate
I'll employ you!

I can contract you to 1 hour per year at a rate of £5.88p/h.

Your role will be a data entry clerk, your sole responsibility will be typing pi to as many digits as you can over an instant messaging client.

Back
Top Bottom