HTC Desire - Virgin Email Sorted!!!! ..

Associate
I'm loving this phone, but i was unable to setup my ntlworld.com email address properly. I could receive messages OK but i could not send them. Very frustrating!!!!

I finally got this sorted tonight by syncing my POP3 email address with GMail ... pretty easy when you know how. I wonder if I'm the only one who didn't know this - it took me ages to suss it out.

...Another problem I'm having with this phone is with SMS messages - can't access them or send them. I get a pop-up saying "process com.android.mms has stopped working". I phoned Vodafone customer care and they told me this is happening because my SIM card is very old - about 4 years old!

Does this sound right or have i been fobbed off?

...Albert

Soldato
I'm loving this phone, but i was unable to setup my ntlworld.com email address properly. I could receive messages OK but i could not send them. Very frustrating!!!!

..Albert

This depends on the email providers network settings.

I'm on Tmobile - with a virgin media account at home.

I can connect and receive mails on my desire when connected to any network, with 3G or from a wireless connection onto the internet. When sending mail though the smtp protocol Virgin require the device to be connected to a Virgin Media access point, so I can send If I'm connected at home on Wifi, but if I disable Wifi and try to send smtp mail to Virgin Media over a cellular connection, Virgin refuse the connection. It's a security thing, Virgin don't want someone connecting to their mail servers to send millions of spam messages.

As a result, I now send outgoing mail via T-Mobile's smtp server, or via my gmail account. They don't seem to care whose network I'm currently on when the connection is established.

As far as I'm aware, this is fairly standard practice, the other half uses an iPhone, and has to send outgoing mail via the O2 servers.

Having said this, the ntlworld accounts have just been (or being) upgraded to new servers, so this might have changed in the last few days, I Haven't tried to change my outgoing mail settings yet.

Associate
This depends on the email providers network settings.

I'm on Tmobile - with a virgin media account at home.

I can connect and receive mails on my desire when connected to any network, with 3G or from a wireless connection onto the internet. When sending mail though the smtp protocol Virgin require the device to be connected to a Virgin Media access point, so I can send If I'm connected at home on Wifi, but if I disable Wifi and try to send smtp mail to Virgin Media over a cellular connection, Virgin refuse the connection. It's a security thing, Virgin don't want someone connecting to their mail servers to send millions of spam messages.

As a result, I now send outgoing mail via T-Mobile's smtp server, or via my gmail account. They don't seem to care whose network I'm currently on when the connection is established.

As far as I'm aware, this is fairly standard practice, the other half uses an iPhone, and has to send outgoing mail via the O2 servers.

Having said this, the ntlworld accounts have just been (or being) upgraded to new servers, so this might have changed in the last few days, I Haven't tried to change my outgoing mail settings yet.

You can get round this by stating that your provider requires a username and password to send mail also.

I was working away in London for a time and found that I could not send mail via Virgin SMTP servers through the Be/O2 internet I had. Set up Outlook to use my username and password when sending email to the smtp.blueyonder.co.uk server and it worked fine for 6 months.

Hope this helps.

On another note, I have a Desire too and would desperately like to use my new Google powered Virgin mail with the Gmail application.

If someone has a method please post! :)

Soldato
You can get round this by stating that your provider requires a username and password to send mail also.

I was working away in London for a time and found that I could not send mail via Virgin SMTP servers through the Be/O2 internet I had. Set up Outlook to use my username and password when sending email to the smtp.blueyonder.co.uk server and it worked fine for 6 months.

Hope this helps.

On another note, I have a Desire too and would desperately like to use my new Google powered Virgin mail with the Gmail application.

If someone has a method please post! :)

I have just updated the Email app to use the IMAP server, so the accounts sync a lot better, with changes being replicated on both views of the account, and the full folder list being available,

I'm trying now to set up the new google account on gmail app. It's recognised the account, an i have a "you email will appear shortly" message... ..it says it might take up to 5 minutes.. not too hopefull about this bit, but i'll let you know if it works....

Last edited:
Soldato
Gmail still waiting for sync with ntlworld, doens't look hopefull, there is a note against the account saying there is a problem with sync and it will be back be shortly.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Gmail still waiting for sync with ntlworld, doens't look hopefull, there is a note against the account saying there is a problem with sync and it will be back be shortly.

Unless I'm missing something here I'll tell you how i synced my ntlworld.com to GMail and it happened instantly ....

On your PC sign onto your GMail account. Click settings. Click "Accounts and Import". On the "Check mail using POP3" add your POP3 account - NTL email address/username/password. Then when you access your GMail on your phone all your emails from NTL should get through .. sorry if I'm stating the obvious ...

BTW ... i phoned Virgin support today and they told me that for security reasons you cannot send NTLWORLD/VIRGIN emails via 3G.

Last edited:
Soldato
Unless I'm missing something here I'll tell you how i synced my ntlworld.com to GMail and it happened instantly ....

On your PC sign onto your GMail account. Click settings. Click "Accounts and Import". On the "Check mail using POP3" add your POP3 account - NTL email address/username/password. Then when you access your GMail on your phone all your emails from NTL should get through .. sorry if I'm stating the obvious ...

BTW ... i phoned Virgin support today and they told me that for security reasons you cannot send NTLWORLD/VIRGIN emails via 3G.

Not what I was trying to do. I think you have imported all the Ntl mail into google, to then view it in Gmail on the phone. I was trying to use the GMail phone app to view the ntlworld account as I still want the accounts separate.

Associate
OP
Not what I was trying to do. I think you have imported all the Ntl mail into google, to then view it in Gmail on the phone. I was trying to use the GMail phone app to view the ntlworld account as I still want the accounts separate.

..yeah, the way i was doing it was by importing ALL my NTL emails into Google. I dont want to do this.

..... did you manage to set up Gmail with your NTL email accounts? ....

Soldato
I have ntlworld email too. What I did was go to the virgin media portal and get all my emails forwarded to my google mail account. You can choose whether to have them re-directed, or copied. I went with copied.

Associate
OP
I have ntlworld email too. What I did was go to the virgin media portal and get all my emails forwarded to my google mail account. You can choose whether to have them re-directed, or copied. I went with copied.

... any chance you could explain a little bit more please ... like where abouts is this Virgin Media Portal? ..... thanks

Soldato
Yeah you have to have an NTL/Virgin IP to be able to send via their smtp mail servers. This is why I never bothered with it on my current phone. I may get round to syncing with gmail on my next phone but frankly, gmail is overrated and all the usernames are taken up so I'll end up with [email protected] < and that's no doubt taken too ;)

Soldato
Surely getting NTL accounts to forward to GMail is just the same as gettting GMail to pick up the mails?

I didn't manage to get past the error with syncing on GMail, when using gmail on the phone to sync the NTL-Gmail account, so for now I'm going to leave it as it is. Using Mail to access NTL world with IMAP and works exchange server, and GMail picking up the Googlemail account.

Soldato
Surely getting NTL accounts to forward to GMail is just the same as gettting GMail to pick up the mails?

I didn't manage to get past the error with syncing on GMail, when using gmail on the phone to sync the NTL-Gmail account, so for now I'm going to leave it as it is. Using Mail to access NTL world with IMAP and works exchange server, and GMail picking up the Googlemail account.

Pretty much the same. I didn't realise gmail would be able to pick up my NTL mail directly - hence went with forwarding :)

I wanted the echoing of mails to my phone to be so I could see if there was anything urgent. In most cases I would be ignoring it until I was home to respond on my main PC.

Back
Top Bottom