Best value of the big barges?

Associate
[TW]Fox;16573224 said:
The big advantage of the Jag is that it wont look like an old cheap Luxobarge - most people watching the politics of last week will not have noticed that Gordon Brown was in a 10 year old car. A Jag is just that - some Jag.

I did - I noticed. :)

Associate
To be honest 5k is a difficult budget for this kind of car, too low for a decent W220 or E65 of any form, and personally I feel that 5k is too much spend on an E38 or X308 Jag, both of which look fairly dated now...however a Daimler Super V8 in the X308 shape may be a good choice if you seeking individuality on a 5k budget!

An early LS430 would be a reasonable choice and is likely to be less trouble than a 5k W220 but then again, the Lexus will lack the sense of occasion that I assume you are looking for considering the car is more of a toy than a necessity from what you describe. My advice would be to save up around 8k, enough for either a tidy w220, early 735 or 745 e65, or a reasonable x350 XJ.....

Bear in mind that any of these cars mentioned (Lexus or otherwise) can generate bills in the thousands just for fun, especially those models equipped with any kind of air suspension or electronic damper control so it would be wrong to base the reliability on brand alone, instead it would be prudent to carefully study the service history of each car you see individually and go for the one which appears to be have been cared for with no expense spared...If you are lucky enough to find such an example!

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
To be honest 5k is a difficult budget for this kind of car, too low for a decent W220 or E65 of any form, and personally I feel that 5k is too much spend on an E38 or X308 Jag, both of which look fairly dated now...however a Daimler Super V8 in the X308 shape may be a good choice if you seeking individuality on a 5k budget!

An early LS430 would be a reasonable choice and is likely to be less trouble than a 5k W220 but then again, the Lexus will lack the sense of occasion that I assume you are looking for considering the car is more of a toy than a necessity from what you describe. My advice would be to save up around 8k, enough for either a tidy w220, early 735 or 745 e65, or a reasonable x350 XJ.....

Bear in mind that any of these cars mentioned (Lexus or otherwise) can generate bills in the thousands just for fun, especially those models equipped with any kind of air suspension or electronic damper control so it would be wrong to base the reliability on brand alone, instead it would be prudent to carefully study the service history of each car you see individually and go for the one which appears to be have been cared for with no expense spared...If you are lucky enough to find such an example!

Spot on, agree entirely. :) Either lower the budget and go mid 90's (in design), or spend that bit extra for a post 2000 design such as the E65/X350/Facelift W220.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Just out of interest Jez, have you had any experience of an E65 and if so how would you say it compared to the W220?

Ive been in a few and poked around them, but no not much experience with them. They ride like a BMW, ie, harshly, comparible to other SE models. Very hard compared with a W220 with airmatic on comfort. Interior looks more modern, but i guess you can see that from photo's. Seats no-where near the quality IMO, they feel harder, and the leather feels of a lower quality.

To be honest not enough experience to give a proper rundown on any technology, but enough experience to say that the W220 is by far the more comfy ride, and much more my taste. They also have more occasion (the W220).

No doubt about it though, the E65 is the more modern car, inside and out.

Associate
Wow the steering wheel leather is like a mirror on that S8! I have also heard many bad things about premateurely failing autoboxes on that shape of A8/S8 so buyer beware, the wording of that advert and the 'part service history' says it all really!

Soldato
Not necessarily that one but it looks like there might be a few in that price range. Just trying to throw some ideas around here :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
For a leftfield suggestion, Volvo S80. It'll be a LOT newer than the equivalent German barge. Might be fwd and thus a rubbish sports saloon, but will do waft very nicely and has some of the best seats around.

Man of Honour
For a leftfield suggestion, Volvo S80. It'll be a LOT newer than the equivalent German barge. Might be fwd and thus a rubbish sports saloon, but will do waft very nicely and has some of the best seats around.

S80 is more 5 Series sized though, is it not?

Caporegime
OP
[TW]Fox;16574857 said:
S80 is more 5 Series sized though, is it not?

Thats just it, considered a Volvo seriously, I like the build & feel of many.

But if I wanted a 5 series sized car then a 5 it would be.

£5k is very much towards the top of the price range I'd want to spend, if I find a cheap but nice e38 then obviously I'd be daft to spend more.

I'd rather a late e38 than early e65 tbh,tempted by the X308 Jag and have seen a very nice XJR locally throuble is, to my mind they look much more dated than a late e38....

I'll be thinking & looking whilst I'm away all week... :)

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom