Would you buy this house ?

Associate
Hi All

I am looking to buy a new-build house , and am really, really stuck - so wanted to ask for everyones help/ideas. Very few houses come up in this area, and with the spec/size that we wanted, so we dont want to let a good one go , as it were.

Linky to PDF

First of all - in terms of price it is competitive, and we are very lucky to be have parents who can help out so that we can buy this house. We want to live in this part of watford for the school catchment areas, and near to my work.

I have been to see the house inside in person, and it is all finished to a very high standard, and is lovely inside. There are 2 major problems however, and I really wanted everyone's view on this.

1 . It is on a main road, fairly busy. The road is double yellow lined, and so are some of the side roads. Any guests/family wanting to visit would probably have to park in the side roads, and walk 10mins to our house. We have lots of guests/family . . . . . so is an issue !

2 . There is no garage, and there is only parking for 2 cars outside - and we already have 2. This exacerbates greatly problem 1.

(3) . Busy road - worry if children etc run out onto the roads etc etc

Here is a map link which shows a bit more detail in terms of location

Any ideas gratefully appreciated - am pulling my hair out at the moment !

R

mehul

Last edited:
Soldato
if i was going to be spending that much money on a house then i would want something a bit more suited to me. But if you say that the price is competitive for the area, then maybe the problems are something you could live with?

Don
A house near me sold for that money a couple of years ago, had multiple pools, helicopter landing pad and hangar, 11 acres of land etc etc

why would anywhere in Watford be so stupidly expensive ?

Man of Honour
While it looks like a relatively nice area... for that kinda money I'd deff. commute to work - you can get a whole lot more house for that money as rotty says if you move out a bit.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
From the pics that drive looks like it could fit five cars at a push. Three cars horizantal to the fence on the left. Two in front of the front door one behind the other.

TS7

TS7

Soldato
A house near me sold for that money a couple of years ago, had multiple pools, helicopter landing pad and hangar, 11 acres of land etc etc

why would anywhere in Watford be so stupidly expensive ?

850k for all that? That is extremely cheap. 850k would buy a nice, 5 bed, detached house with maybe pool around here. Certainly no acres of land or helipad.

Man of Honour
850k for all that? That is extremely cheap. 850k would buy a nice, 5 bed, detached house with maybe pool around here. Certainly no acres of land or helipad.

Depends where you are... out here in Somerset on the edge of a busy town 850K gets you an 8 bedroom house with a large swimming pool, fullsize double tennis courts and atleast a couple of acres or more of land.

And on a busy day (in London) you can probably get to work as quickly on a train from here as you could in the car/public transport lol.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Absolutely not. Nearly a MILLION POUNDS for a house like that without a garage and right on a main road?

Move away from London and that sort of money buys you acres of land, a driveway longer than your imagination, a triple garage and no main road for miles around.

I'm opening myself up for all sorts of slagging here but it just looks like a normal suburban house. Other than the fact its near London nothing at all makes it look anything like £850k worth. Even half that is pushing it. It even has a shared driveway?!

Last edited:
Don

just found it is back up for sale at £1.6m, land seems to have grown though :p

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-24115624.html

•Eleven bedroomed dwelling with pool
•Set in private grounds of approximately 26.68 acres
•Seven stables, ménage and lake
•Helipad with hangar and garaging

Man of Honour
I can only guess you're paying a hefty premium for the fittings. Kitchen in particular is just bizarre. But, horses for courses etc.

London premium just adds insult to injury of course.

But, if it's what you want then your 'problems' seem like nothing more than minor inconveniences.

Back
Top Bottom