Would you buy this house ?

Soldato
Caporegime
Hi All

I am looking to buy a new-build house , and am really, really stuck - so wanted to ask for everyones help/ideas. Very few houses come up in this area, and with the spec/size that we wanted, so we dont want to let a good one go , as it were.

Linky to PDF

First of all - in terms of price it is competitive, and we are very lucky to be have parents who can help out so that we can buy this house. We want to live in this part of watford for the school catchment areas, and near to my work.

I have been to see the house inside in person, and it is all finished to a very high standard, and is lovely inside. There are 2 major problems however, and I really wanted everyone's view on this.

1 . It is on a main road, fairly busy. The road is double yellow lined, and so are some of the side roads. Any guests/family wanting to visit would probably have to park in the side roads, and walk 10mins to our house. We have lots of guests/family . . . . . so is an issue !

2 . There is no garage, and there is only parking for 2 cars outside - and we already have 2. This exacerbates greatly problem 1.

(3) . Busy road - worry if children etc run out onto the roads etc etc

Here is a map link which shows a bit more detail in terms of location

Any ideas gratefully appreciated - am pulling my hair out at the moment !

R

mehul

Sorry, but is the price for that new looking tat a cruel joke? What's even worse is that you KNOW it's not suitable yet are desperately trying to talk yourself into it... just shows what a silly "MUST BUY HOUSE NOW" mentality we have built up in the UK over the last decades.

For 850k I would be buying a unique and individual country property with a few acres of land and commuting into work, or at least a s****y town house or large apartment in the city. That's one of th blandest looking houses i've ever seen.

Last edited:

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Not only is it over priced it's poorly situated & in a **** hole, On top of that it's Full of MDF.
Personally i cannot understand people that buy houses for this sort of money in citys, Step out a bit & you'd get untold land, out buildings & Privacy, Now that I'd pay 850k for.

Soldato
Not only is it over priced it's poorly situated & in a **** hole, On top of that it's Full of MDF.
Personally i cannot understand people that buy houses for this sort of money in citys, Step out a bit & you'd get untold land, out buildings & Privacy, Now that I'd pay 850k for.
tbh even spending that sort of money on an older house in a city would get you a good quality building rather than a probably pretty crappy new build.

Soldato
Location Location Location.... ... .., even if I was in the position to pay 850K I would seriosusly be considering a commute, unless Watford has transformed miraculously since I last visited 10 years ago then it's only selling point is that it's close to London.

Associate
OP
Hi All

Thanks for all your replies

I would go further out of london, but I have to drive for work reasons, and I also need to be close to work, even on weekends/evenings as part of the cover rota. Watford is about as far out as I can go - and the only reason we are going this far out is because of the schools.

Will keep pondering !

R

Mehul

Associate
Clicky

I think that's it on Street View, looks like it used to be a big house with a garage...and of course they've now built two where it once was for some cha cha cha ching.

If you compare things like how close it is to the house next door it just shows exactly why people aren't so keen on new builds.

Btw, the main reason i think that is it is the house next door, you can see the paint flaking in the exact same spots on the white/black roof triangle...bit...:p

Associate
That is a nice house but jesus....for £850k, I'd rather live in a rural area and for the property you'd get for that money, you'd be living like a king. Shame you're tied to be so close to work.
In a nutshell though, I'd have to be more certain than something that's very, very certain to shell out that money so even if you have an ounce of doubt in your mind, leave it.

Associate
Exactly - it was 1 house, which was then demolished, and turned into 2 , 79 and 79a.

R

mehul

That's one of the main reasons i wouldn't buy it to be honest. I would feel sore from the physical man action being given to me from behind by the person i was buying it from...

Oh and the price.

Soldato
i find that the new builds have cheap crappy walls, you could actually hear next door on the crapper.

personally i would stay clear of this £850k for that is a joke,to me that doesn't even hit 500k

ask yourself, whether you can see yourself living there for the next 15 - 25 years?
find a property that has garages and a big drive way, away from busy traffic, if it already has cons what else will you find when you move in.

Soldato
It's a lovely house, a bit too 'white' for my tastes and i would have prefered woodern flooring, but that's just too steep to be honest, i wouldn't pay more than £500,000 for a house like that

Caporegime
I'm assuming you've got or will be having children due to the school catchment thing, so no I wouldn't consider living on a main road.

It's also completely soulless. I realise its a new build, but it has zero character.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom