Plastic makes me a sad panda

Associate
I strongly advise you to do more research into the deletrious effects of soya consumption. Almond milk is a much healthier alternative, rice and oat milk are also worthy of consideration.

Soya milk also tastes really... odd. I'm not sure how people can't tell the difference really.

Soldato
We bought it from a market in the highlands of Poland (Zakopane region) where animals are farmed and no bit of an animal is wasted. So when the animals are killed for meat do you want them to throw the fur away?
Maybe you should think before you bandy insults.

You are typical of the tree huggers where it's all black or white, and definitely no sense.

IDIOT.

Your Mamma is so ugly, she went to the bathroom and scared the **** out of the toilet.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
I do wonder why the government just hasn't simply banned non recyclable packaging. Have a bit of a consultation, work out four or five packaging materials that covers everyones needs and can be recycled and job done.

I did find the OPs switch to Quorn quite amusing though considering it's history and how it is made and his railing against the evil chemical companies. :)

Associate
Last year or two I've started to shop a lot more locally, using the local greengrocers, using the local butchers etc. It's cheaper, tastier, travelled less miles and we have more say over how it's produced and packaged. No ecomentalist blogs required to tell me that's a good thing.

Soldato
OP
Who the **** are you to tell people what they can and can't wear because you like or dislike the look of it?
I made a valid point and all you can say is that... Pffff rubbish

BYW, my wife's fur coat looks great and is better for the environment than your plastic alternative.

I wasnt going to bother to reply to this since you feel that swearing is a helpful way to argue, but I will rise to the bait. If you actually read what I post you'd see I never said people shouldnt be allowed to wear fur. You brought up the fact that plastic alternatives are clearly as bad, if not worse, given my OP.

In my opinion fur does look awful, but that comment as intended as tongue in cheek anyway, though clearly if people didnt buy fur then there would be no need to find a replacement for it? Its good that you are buying from what sounds like a sustainable source, however I'm not sure its really you (or your wife) the likes of ALF are targetting. The fashion industry, which is massive compared to your single usage, almost certainly does waste life just for fur. While for me its not a massive issue, as it seldom applies to me, and most of my ecology is an attempt to change my personal usage I see the problem with mass farming for fur and hope you could too, without me telling you how to live!

You seem to have it in your head that I'm a massive hippie nutter, going by your comments in your original post. No i dont wear hemp (well, not yet :p), Im just a normal 22 yr old guy, I get drunk, I go out, I have friends, I dont live in a cave and I even have a car! The point im trying to make here is how much plastic we really waste. The plastic bag which took maybe a few hours to make, which most people use once, but which exists afterwards for maybe a few thousand years. That bag is just unnecessary. The pollution it made is, unnecessary. The life it might destroy, an unnecessary loss. These blogs arent really about the plastic coat, or about the computer Im typing on, with plastic keys. They are about the throwaway items which really do not need to exist.

If you do decide to post again, I think it would be better if you thought about it before you typed.

So, what exactly have you achieved through this? :/

Every little helps. I'm just one person, I cant stop tescos selling meat (nor would I try!) but for me to only buy meat for dinner in a week, rather than potentially breakfast, lunch and dinner. Well thats at least 50% of my meat purchasing down. If everyone did it, then it would show in the sales figures and supply would adjust to it. Im just one person but its a start.Also it is much cheaper and I find myself eating much healthier alternatives instead.

What amazes me is how much plastic is wasted by making pieces of trash toys / gimics that will be thrown away 5 minutes later

I can't remember the link but the blog about the worst polluted areas in china really made me realise how much we're destroying this world, not that im doing anything to help mind....

EXACTLY! Finally someone gets the point! The whole idea of this post was not a rant about vegetarianism. Im not one. Nor was it really a rant about plastics we use for things we use for a long time ie computers. It is about getting people to think, do i really need this straw? I drink most of my drinks fine without it, and ill only throw it away in 5 minutes. No, I wont have a straw thank you. If everyone did that?! Well the Pacific Rubbish Patch might just be that bit smaller.

I strongly advise you to do more research into the deletrious effects of soya consumption. Almond milk is a much healthier alternative, rice and oat milk are also worthy of consideration.

I wasnt actually aware of this but thank you for the info. I have been drinking Alpro soya and according to my little bit of reading they are one of the "better" producers. Never buying from ex-rainforest land etc. Might look up alternative milks next time I do a shop though. The trick is getting one the gf likes as she hates dairy but now loves soya!

Last year or two I've started to shop a lot more locally, using the local greengrocers, using the local butchers etc. It's cheaper, tastier, travelled less miles and we have more say over how it's produced and packaged. No ecomentalist blogs required to tell me that's a good thing.

This is great :) although it isnt always an option for everyone.My gfs village has 3 butchers and 2 green grocers, good old Suffolk, so its really a no brainer! On the other hand Harpenden, where my parents live, doesnt have any greengrocers and only 1 butcher (who they and I do use when he has the stock in). You probably dont need any ecomentalist blogs, no. But I try not to preach to the converted. :) Especially when im mental apparently.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I can remember as a child plastic not being there to suddenly taking over the world and thinking everytime I saw it how tacky it was.
I've probably got a wrong timeline but households didn't have plastic things in them and suddenly Tupperware hit the market and then every house was full of it.
Then came electronic items that had always been made of wood or metal coming in plastic housing eg televisions, stereo systems and once again it used to disgust me in those early days.
Of course I'm used to it now.

Permabanned
lol wut, been charged maybe 1 in 100 times for a carrier bag and every time I bought one anyway.

This is what I was thinking - the charging of plastic bags seemed to last about a week. Now Sainsburys, Tesco and Asda round here give them away for free again. I find them extremely handy for bin liners or nappy disposal so I always grab loads.

Associate
I can remember as a child plastic not being there to suddenly taking over the world and thinking everytime I saw it how tacky it was.
I've probably got a wrong timeline but households didn't have plastic things in them and suddenly Tupperware hit the market and then every house was full of it.
Then came electronic items that had always been made of wood or metal coming in plastic housing eg televisions, stereo systems and once again it used to disgust me in those early days.
Of course I'm used to it now.
The Genius of Design covered a lot of this last night, charting the use of plastics in industrial design, including Tupperware. It's a pretty good watch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00slplb/The_Genius_of_Design_Better_Living_Through_Chemistry/

Man of Honour

Agreed - rice milk's actually lovely, especially the coconut flavoured one. But from a nutrition/bodybuilding point of view too it's pretty good as well.

Associate
Recently I have become a bit of an environmental convert. After spending 2 weeks sorting out my parents' loft of all the rubbish they have accumulated I found myself thinking, "no way do they need all this stuff". Since then I have started reading and researching about the environment and how I can be less wasteful.

I've done various small things, using the car a lot less, switching to Soya milk, halving my meat consumption, but today I had my eyes truly opened by two blogs about the evil that is plastic.http://plasticmanners.wordpress.com/ and
http://fakeplasticfish.com/. Both blogs are of people trying to dramatically cut down their plastic use, from refusing straws at cantines, to buying a toothbrush made out of boar hair!

Plastic really is everywhere but it is a poison. Its creation pollutes and its existance pollutes. Even when it is disposed of after the shortest of moments it will remain forever. That little plastic spoon, the cupholder, the little table you sometimes get in a pizza box. All of those will exist forever after they have been used.

I dont want to be preachy, but reading those blogs really has changed my view on the world. So if you care about your planet at all give them a look for a minute. Maybe refuse that straw next time, or take your own bag, or even track how much you use for a week or two. If we all used and wasted just that little bit less, the results could be staggering.

they allready exsisted in some kind of form, you cant create mass. argument invalid. also why are you eating less meat, its good for you and tastes nice and were not making anything "die out" so to speak. i had kangaroo the other day and it was very nice like a odd taste on the outside but the inside was tender and like fillet steak. stop being a moron theres no such thing as global warming and if you sleep with a girl your not going to get hiv as the media would protray.

Soldato
OP
they allready exsisted in some kind of form, you cant create mass. argument invalid. also why are you eating less meat, its good for you and tastes nice and were not making anything "die out" so to speak. i had kangaroo the other day and it was very nice like a odd taste on the outside but the inside was tender and like fillet steak. stop being a moron theres no such thing as global warming and if you sleep with a girl your not going to get hiv as the media would protray.

They did already exist, but in the form of oil, underground, locked away, "buried" as it were, having done so for millions of years. Making that oil into plastics created pollution, it unlocked the poisons within the oil and allowed them to enter the food chain, water supply or air. To use an analogy, tobacco grows. The plant the leaves come from wasnt made by man, it existed in some form. However due to process and alteration, that leaf is made into a cigarette. The cigarette is smoked and the harm it does is felt by the individual. How can you possibly say just because something exists it can do no harm? EVERYTHING already exists, doesnt mean it cant be harmful now because of changes we make to it.

Meat is good for you, i agree. I havent stopped eating it, I never said I had. However producing meat does massively affect animal welfare. It does produce something like a FIFTH of all Co2 emissions. It does lead to deforestation, overfarming does damage the soil and the way livestock are bred does lead to the proliferation of disease and weakening of animal immune systems, making things like Avian and swine flu much more easily spreadable and, arguably allows them to exist in the first place.

Humans are not meant to eat meat every day, we don't need it and biologically we are not actually built to consume as much of it as we do. I havecut my consumption because I dont believe I need to eat as much of it as I was. Is there any need to have a beef stir fry when a vegetable one tastes just as good and is better for you?

No idea where your comments about HIV came from, but i suppose they're meant to cast me in the guise of a hippie again, or a crazy keyboard warrior who never talks to people or has relationships. When you're done with the stereotypes and personal attacks feel free to post back and maybe we can have an intelligent discussion.

Associate
Quorn ham slices are really tasty in a toastie and quorn chicken is impossible to differentiate in a curry. Honestly, just try it, it won't hurt and you may be pleasantly surprised.

Do you not think how heavily processed those quorn substitutes must be in order to taste like chicken or ham? When in fact you could just eat fresh unprocessed chicken or ham.

Soldato
Quorn ham slices are really tasty in a toastie and quorn chicken is impossible to differentiate in a curry. Honestly, just try it, it won't hurt and you may be pleasantly surprised.

BS!

Quorn has no texture and simply falls apart in your mouth, especially after being used for a curry :/

Oh well - for every cow you don't eat I shall eat 3! :D

Back
Top Bottom