Fake watches

Soldato
What's the deal with these?

To cut a long story short, I was pretty tipsy on holiday one night, went to look at the markets for the hand made jewellery/souvenirs and what not. Stumbled upon an array of fake but very nice time pieces and purely for the thrill of the haggle and slight annoyance of the seller, walked away with a watch 40 odd quid less than the asking price.

Completely regret it now, as I own some very nice watches and probably wont ever wear it however I can't help but think for the price, a lot of time has went into this? It appears very well made - automatic watch, see through back completely stamped and branded on the interior components, stamped on the strap, crown, and face.

I'd like to know how much money/effort actually goes into these? Does anyone actually buy them?

Just wish it didn't say Patek Phillippe on it :o I'd probably wear it unbranded :p

Caporegime
I'd be interested to see pics of the fake. How much did you actually pay?

I've never bought a fake watch, but they do seem to be able to make them very well these days.

Is it really automatic i.e. sweeping second hand?

Soldato
OP
:p

@Robbie: It's pretty different to any of the Patek Phillippe models I've seen so in terms of looking like the real deal I can't say and I'm definitely not clued up on expensive watches.

Here's a comparison between one of my other watches, I haven't set it to the right time but it is automatic:

fakewatch.jpg

watch_rear.jpg

As I said, if it was completely unbranded I'd definitely wear it.

Associate
Some of them are pretty crap while others are very similar and would certainly pass as the real thing to the average guy who isn't in to watches. Weight and attention to detail are very close on some of the better ones which would cost a couple of hundred quid and come with a Swiss movement and anti-reflective glass etc.

Edit: As regards to anyone actually buying them, I know there's some active fake watch forums out there and it seems there's plenty of folks buying them.

Last edited:
Soldato
I acquired a broken fake Rolex some years ago. It simply didn't go. I suspected it was just overwound but all the same traded it to a friend. He hit it with a hammer - and it ran perfectly.
Then, because the hammer blow had made one of the numerals fall off inside the glass, he took it to a watchmaker to have it serviced and the numeral stuck back on.
The watchmaker said he'd never seen such a good replica. After he'd been inside it, the watch never ran again...:(

Associate
I have a real Tag and a fake one. I wear the fake far more than the real one and it keeps excellent time plus I don't have to worry about losing it or it getting scratched.

I have a fake version of my rolex daytona, you could not tell the difference unless you knew your watches. I wear my fake for the same reason, very good replicas are worth the money especially if you have an original authentic one. I also keep my fake in the authentic rolex box with the certificate incase of a break in. The real one gets hidden away.

Don
I have a fake version of my rolex daytona, you could not tell the difference unless you knew your watches. I wear my fake for the same reason, very good replicas are worth the money especially if you have an original authentic one. I also keep my fake in the authentic rolex box with the certificate incase of a break in. The real one gets hidden away.

The difference would be easy to spot

Back
Top Bottom