• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5770 Vapor-x No image displayed!

Associate
Hi guys. I have built a new rig recently, and after a few frustrating moments the pc now boots. Anyway, the problem I am having at the minute is with the graphics card.

I have onboard graphics which work fine, but I have a 5770 vapor-x in my machine which wont do anything at the minute. With the onboard graphics it boots into windows (vga used), however with a VGA-DVI adapter plugged into the DVI on the 5770 I get nothing on the screen! As far as I can tell the screen is recieving a signal but it just stays black. Windows will load as i can hear it, but no display!

The card is installed into the blue (recommended) slot on the motherboard, and I have tried it in the other grey slot. I get the same result in each. I also recieved a VGA card (thingy) which is mean to go into the unused slot. I have tried booting with/without it in, in either slots.

I have went into the bios and searched for a way to turn off the onboard graphics but there is no option for that, just a setting to change the order of GPU. I have tried all the different combos for that and still nothing.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give you as much information as possible as to what I have tried. The following is my setup:

Motherboard:
Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AMD 890GX

CPU:
AMD Phenom II x4 Quad 955 Black Edition (AM3)

RAM:
OCZ Low Voltage 2x2GB DDR3 Dual Channel PC3-12800C9 1600Mhz
One stick removed as it wouldn't boot with both.(think its faulty)

Graphics:
ATI HD 5770 Vapor-x

Optical Drive:
Sony optiarc AD-72415

Cooling:
Arctic Cooling freezer 7 PRO REV 2

Case:
Thermaltake VL10001 Element G

PSU:
OCZ ModxStream 600w
8-pin PSU extension cable 25cm

Hard Drive:
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB

Thanks so much for any help in advance. This is the only thing i need to get going for my rig to be finished. Thanks, Frank!

Associate
OP
Hey thanks for the reply. I thought about that but i have tried it with hdmi too from the gpu and still the same result. i will try and find another dvi cable to see if that helps or not.

I should also mention that when i boot into wondows there is no 5770 listed in the device manager atall. So I am still stumped as to the solution. Thanks

I got another dvi cable and will try that when i get home from work, see if it makes a differece. I will post when i know.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey guys thanks for all your help, and sorry to bump my own thread, but i am having no luck with this card to get a display. Could anyone even tell me how they would go about installing this card on a new rig with onboard graphics already installed.

THANKS

Associate
OP
I had the power cable in correctly, the one that came with it. I have replace that with a pcie cable that came with the power supply aswell. On my board it gives me the option to have pci first too buit as I say i get no image. the screen looks like its on standby. Do you have the VGA Card thingy(cant remember the name of it) in the other pcie slot?

I am sure i have tried every combination, and nothing, but im new to this (first build) so may have missed something.
Yes the fan is spinning and the blue light is on.

Any more ideas welcome. Cheers for the help.

Associate
Whats in the other pci e slot? you lost me with that, the card takes 2 spaces.

You have plugged your monitor into the graphics card and not the onboard (sorry if this seems stupid)

Associate
OP
Hey sorry for not replying quicker, but I got a card, think its called a VGA switch card. I am not sure really but it seems to indicate that if I have to have it in the empty (grey) pcie slot if I am using a PCIe graphics card in the other blue slot.
I hav plugged the monitor into the graphics card, and as i said I get no image, but the onboard works.
Should windows at least not pick up the card in Device manager, as it's not in there. :(

Thanks for the help!

Associate
OP
Hey yeah im getting a beep but just the usual, none that indicate theres a problem. Its really odd. I dont think theres a problem with the card as its fan is spinning and the blue "S" is lit up. Should it atleast not be detected under windows? It's not in device manager.

I have the bios to boot display order PCI first. I have run out of ideas, please help if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Associate
OP
Hey thanks for the reply. I am only and have ever only got a display with the onboard graphics. Im using win7x64. As stated above this is a brand new rig as of last week. And so its a fresh install of win 7. The pc boots up fine no matter what all the time, but whenever I have the 5770 connected via dvi or hdmi the screen does nothing. I get no display. Its as if the tv is on standby.

I havent gotten a prompt to install the card or is it even showing up in device manager. I am at whits end with this and if theres nothing more to try i fear the card is dead. But as i mentioned All fans/lights are going.

Soldato
For some reason it sounds like the card is not even connected to the mobo properly... Try reseating it or another PCI-E slot?
EDIT: re read your post, nevermind. So you get a display with the onboard VGA with the card connected?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hey, yeah I have had the card in and out of both of the pci-e slots and it feels and looks like it is in properly. Yes I do have a display with the onboard graphics through a vga cable, when the card is installed to either of the pci-e slots, so I installed win 7x64 to see if I could locate the card and install it manually.

The fact it doesnt display anything or be recognised leads me to think the card is faulty. But as mentioned before light is on and fan spins.

Associate
It does seem that you have a fault, I have never had many issues before. Although it is finding what is faulty. could be PSU, mobo or the card. Have you got any other graphics cards you could try. Or a different PC to try your card in?

Associate
You need to test it in another PC as if you send it back to the reseller they may test it and charge you a fair bit of cash if they find no fault (even if they are wrong sometimes)

Where do you live? might be someone on here that can help you if they live locally.

Associate
OP
Hey sorry I haven't been on, but I finally got two other computers to test the card in and I got the same result as with my PC. I also treid a friends card in the PCI-E slot and when i booted it up I had a display straight away. Can anyone help me with this RMA thing, what is it, and how do I do it? Lol im new to this.

Back
Top Bottom