• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

ATI 5870 flash to bypass 900/1300 limit

Associate
OK, I extract the HP BOOTFILES and if I place them into a new folder (renamed BOOTFILES) when I try to format the flash drive using the HP format tool and direct it to desktop/BOOTFILES (the new folder with the extracted files and renamed BOOTFILES) when I click start (to start formatting) HP format tool says it cant find any dos files in that folder.

I thought that if I simply changed the name of the extracted HP BOOTFILES folder to BOOTFILES it may work, and it appears to as the flash drive is indeed booting.

Did you have a problem when you formatted your flash drive, I do have another one a Corsair Voyager but I would have to copy all my work to HDD, try to flash the card and then copy my work back to the Voyager. Not difficult to do just dont want to risk losing my work by messing arround too much.
sculptor.

Associate
OK, Ive tried to move the extracted HP BOOTFILES to a new folder on both a Windows XP PC and a Windows 7 PC with the same result " no valid dos files found", since this is hapening in Windows I can dismiss the usb stick as being at fault.
Do you have any ideas as to why this happening?
sculptor.

Associate
No there are no files showing. Tried a fresh install of the HP format tool but it hasnt made any difference. Tried with the MSI bios and no difference.
Should the boot files show on the USB stick.
sculptor.

Associate
Here's the bootfiles I used [url said:
http://www.4shared.com/file/43544416/39060a9e/HPUSBFW_BOOTFILES.html?s=1[/URL] (Extract them, then make a folder called BOOTFILES, stick the extracted files into the folder)

For whatever reason this does not work on any pc I have.
I can extract the files directly to a new folder renamed to BOOTFILES or I can rename the extracted HP BOOTFILES folder to BOOTFILES.
If i move the extracted files out of the HP BOOTFILES folder into a new folder called BOOTFILES then the HP format tool cannot recognise them as being dos files. I have tried this on 4 pcs just not working for me.
sculptor.

Associate
This is so odd how it's not working for you mate lol... run HP tool in Admin mode if you're not, also format the drive as FAT32 first with Windows. And you can select the BOOTFILES folder fine right? it's just when you click "format" with HP Tool you get this issue?
Then it probably the USB stick you're using. I've had it happen before. Try another one or even a flash SD/CF card or something.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks MR.B, thought Id leave it for a day before trying with the Corsair USB stick, just felt like I was banging my head against a wall yesterday. Sometimes better to leave things and have a look later with fresh eyes if you know what I mean.
Tried the 5850 with Afterburner, 850 on the core and 1050 on the mem with stock volts no problem at all. If I have no success with flashing Ill just set up 2D and 3D profiles with Afterburner.
At a last ditch attempt I tried to format the USB stick on my old Athlon XP PC, OS Windows XP, but it still didnt work and had exactly the same problems I have on my other rigs regardless of OS. Guess thats really pointing to the USB stick being the fault (I did format the stick in Windows on each PC I tried it on and downloaded the files to each individual PC before trying to format using the HP Tools), Ill try the Corsair stick tomorrow, fingers crossed itll go well.
sculptor.:)

Associate
Ive tried and failed again today to flash the bios on my HIS 5850.
Firstly I reset the motherboard CMOS using the jumper pins.
The bios is now in default settings, all USB settings are enabled and sata is set to IDE.
Remove all my files from the Corsair Voyager USB stick, format the stick in Windows.
Download all necessary sofware and the Asus 5850 bios.
Install the HP format tool.
Extract the HP bootfiles to a new folder named BOOTFILES.
Format the USB stick using the HP format tool, ticking quick format and dos start up disk boxes. Directing it to desktop/BOOTFILES so it knows where the files are, click start, it states that it is formating and installing the dos files.
Extract atiflash, form the extracted folder move the atiflash file onto the USB stick.
Rename the Asus bios file to .rom and move it onto the USB stick.
Reboot and set USB HDD as first boot dev.
Reboot, during post just after the dmi pool data the Windows 98 screen briefly shows. Below the dmi pool data is Microsoft Windows 98 etc.
Below that is C:/>
I enter [atiflash -f -p 0 asus.rom]
I get file not found asus.rom
Error 0FL01

Something is going wrong somewhere, where exactly I am hoping someone can help me with.
I cannot simply move the extracted HP bootfiles to a new folder and have HP format tool recognise those files as dos files. The only option I have is to create a new folder named BOOTFILES and directly extract the HP boofiles to this folder.
As the system is booting from the USB stick I am asumming that the bootfiles are actually working.
Question: Should the BOOTFILES show in the USB stick?
After completing the HP tool format there are no files showing in the USB stick untill I place the atiflash and asus bios files in it, and then it only shows the atiflash and asus bios files.
I have admin rights on the PC as I am the only person that uses all the PCs I have, no log on screens, just boot directly into Windows, single user/administrator.
sculptor.

Soldato
If anyone wants the bios from my card, or has somewere to upload it for others, then I will send it over.
Its for a VTX 5850 reference design, and has unlocked voltage.
It looks to be newer than the Asus 5850 bios thats widely available online.
Currently topping out at 1ghz core 1300 mem on mine with 1.2v (watercooled).
Bios version is: ATOMBIOSBK-ATI VER012.014.000.003.034623

Last edited:
Associate
My 3 xfx 5870 xxx cards have locked voltage I have tried literally at least 20 bios and modified them with rbe and its stuck at 1.1250v. strange thing is msi afterburner will some how allow voltage change. Has any one else had any luck with the locked xfx cards?

Last edited:
Soldato
Flashed my crossfire 5870's, just do as said above:

atiflash -f -p 0 xxxx.rom for one card

atiflash -f -p 1 xxxx.rom for second card

Bit pointless though 'cause i cant clock much higher than 900MHz core anyway - they get too hot in crossfire i suppose.

A bit late probably, but you can flash all gpus with;

atiflash -f -pa xxxx.rom

Soldato
dont the power supply on these cards struggle to cope with stock clocks when running occt/furmark for over 30 mins? clocking higher could be fatal for them like it was for the 4870/4890

Associate
My 3 xfx 5870 xxx cards have locked voltage I have tried literally at least 20 bios and modified them with rbe and its stuck at 1.1250v. strange thing is msi afterburner will some how allow voltage change. Has any one else had any luck with the locked xfx cards?

What do you mean locked voltage? Does it mean you can't overclocked your GPU? I managed to up my voltage to 1250, GPU clock to 961 and memory to 1320. Fan to 50% and so far managed to run Furmark 1.8.2 on 1920 by 1080 setting with 8xAA.

Here's the result.

2moph5l.jpg

2a7fre0.jpg

For some reason, my XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 XXX 1024MB GDDR5 default to 900 by 1250 instead of 875 by 1300 and that's with the original bios.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
What do you mean locked voltage? Does it mean you can't overclocked your GPU? I managed to up my voltage to 1250, GPU clock to 961 and memory to 1320. Fan to 50% and so far managed to run Furmark 1.8.2 on 1920 by 1080 setting with 8xAA.

This problem: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=115927

It seems that some cards default to 1.125v no matter what the bios voltage is set at. as if they read from a different place in the bios even though msi afterburner is still able to make voltage changes.

Back
Top Bottom