ZX6R is buggered!

Soldato
I bought a Kawi ZX6R last year in Feb brand new. As some people will tell you on here (probably Fireskull!!) I'm hardly a fast rider! After storing it for a few months over winter and swapping back to a stock tail pipe I noticed power was right down.

I had it serviced as the 4000 mile was due but that made no difference. I then had the servo motor replaced as they thought it was faulty and so not opening the valve all the way in the exhaust. This made no difference either :(

I finally had it dyno'd and the graph appears OK apart from the fact it is only producing 70bhp. This coincides with the fact that it seems to pull away OK but doesn't have the "grunt" it used to. It definietly feels like a restricted bike!

The bike has been in a Kawasaki dealer for a week now and they can't find the problem externally so are looking at doing compression testing and possibly then removing the engine to check the engine for cracks, etc as they believe oil is leaking into the engine because they have noticed some smoke coming out when reving hard (I've never noticed this to be honest!).

Anyone have any ideas what could cause this? Fuel consumption is roughly half of what it used to be too :(

Waiting to hear back at some point so will update this when I get more. Thank god for the warranty, although knowing my luck the part that has broken won't be covered lol...

Talking of Warranty, do people know if labour is covered too?!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
bad luck m8

warranty will cover your probs inc labour........... did sound like servo prob, on the 10 if you remove servo cable / pulley it snaps open, would have proved it. Maybe 6 is different

Associate
That could be any number of problems, I wouldn't like to guess what! From as simple as a spark plug not working to piston ring failure.

Warranty will cover parts and labour, let Kawasaki take the pain for this, a bike as new as yours shouldn't be having major engine trouble yet :eek:

Soldato
Damn mate thats crap news :(

I always found first gear on your model 6R felt flat but not 70bhp flat! I was going to say have they tried a new ECU? but I think thats a lot of work/money.

Have you checked the airbox, fuel line, spark plugs etc?

(and as much as I take the mick your not a bad rider mate, but at least now youve got an excuse ;) :D )

Soldato
OP
They are transporting it to a larger dealer who have more tools available as I took it to a local one which is just a small one. Looks like no week of biking next week on my week off - BOOO!!

They are going to do a compression test on each cylinder and see if one is dead then go from there. Thank god it is under warranty though, but you wouldnt expect this from a bike I've had from new and kept serviced as per schedule! It's only done 4000 miles over the 14 months I've owned it!

Soldato
They are transporting it to a larger dealer who have more tools available as I took it to a local one which is just a small one. Looks like no week of biking next week on my week off - BOOO!!

They are going to do a compression test on each cylinder and see if one is dead then go from there. Thank god it is under warranty though, but you wouldnt expect this from a bike I've had from new and kept serviced as per schedule! It's only done 4000 miles over the 14 months I've owned it!

What kind of dealer are they laurel and hardy :D a compression test and leak down test will only take about 20 seconds per pot and the tools are basic for any work shop tell them to pull there fingers out it's hot out side :)

Soldato
OP
What kind of dealer are they laurel and hardy :D a compression test and leak down test will only take about 20 seconds per pot and the tools are basic for any work shop tell them to pull there fingers out it's hot out side :)

Yep you would have thought so! They only have a mechanic in 3 days a week though apparently and he "forgot" his compression test kit last time. It's been in there over a week now. Not impressed

Associate
That's beyond rubbish for a dealer! I'd expect any dealer to have a full workshop and full time mechanic, whats the point of them otherwise! :eek:

Associate
id be asking for a courtesy bike at least! my local dealer always lets me have one if they have my bike for longer than a day.

seriously id ask especially with this weather we are getting

mind you thats probally something to do with the fact that ive done 15.5k in 9 months:eek:

Soldato
OP
id be asking for a courtesy bike at least! my local dealer always lets me have one if they have my bike for longer than a day.

seriously id ask especially with this weather we are getting

mind you thats probally something to do with the fact that ive done 15.5k in 9 months:eek:

That's actually not a bad idea! I have next week off so will give them to the weekend to sort it otherwise I'll see what they can offer. As it's all under warranty they should be able to just pass the cost on anyway (unless I fall off!!)

Back
Top Bottom