HTC Hero... great but....

Associate
Hey, i've got a Hero, and i've had a few problems with them. Thought i'd share them here incase anyone has solutions, or for if anyone is looking at getting the phone.
Personally, if you're going to buy this, I think you might aswel get the HTC Desire now, but anyway....

1) My handset likes to hand up on people mid conversation. I have perfect signal, and there is no reason for it. I've left the phone on a desk once and watched it do this totally 100% by its self, without me even holding it. Any solutions?

2) Yesterday, my phone ran out of batteries. I charged it up last night and turned it on in the morning. To my surprise, it asked me to run the set up wizard when I booted it up. Uh oh. So, i went through it... got to a homescreen ( not mine )... then soon realised it had totally reset itself to factory settings. No contacts, no facebook settings, no e-mail... boom... totally everything gone. I had a backup, till my laptop broke... so it's time to start making facebook groups... :(. Has this happened to anyone else?

3) Linking to your google mail contacts, results in every person you've ever e-mailed being added to your contact list. I've fixed this now, by going onto people>groups> sync and changing it to only sync " My contacts ". Then using google mail, contacts can be added to the my contact list rather than all contacts. This is nice because next time my phone forgets everything I can sync from the net.

4) Can't change phone contacts to google contacts. A google contact is stored online, and has bits of extra information. All in all, it's great, really helpful and is a form of backup. Also when you're on your google mail account, you can see your contacts, edit them.. look at your friends facebooks etc etc really easily. A phone contact is a normal phone contact, but it's impossible to import all your phone contacts, then change them to google contacts... you have to muck around writing them all down, and re-creating all your contacts, or... export them to .csv file, and then import them into google contacts via your PC on the google mail site.

5) Silent alarm. Seems a fair few other people have the silent alarm. Great for the exam period. The alarm goes off, but even though the phone is not on silent... the alarm is. You can see it light up, but it just doesn't make a sound. I've found how to fix this, and it's a bit of a silly place to put it.
Here is the fix: Go onto your clock, onto your alarm. Select it, press alarm sound. here it looks as if you can only change the alarm ringtone.. but no, if you press the volume buttons on the side of your phone, it will turn the alarm tone up and down. This is how some people have ended up with silent alarms. It will say " Alarm volume " and you can change it there. Strange place to put a setting and should really be visable.

6) Lag... really horrid lag when unlocking the phone, or when opening apps. This is because the phone doesn't seem to close applications. There are many task killer apps available in the marketplace... this phone really needs one. If you hold down the home key, it will show you all the stuff that's open ( or a lot of it ).

Soldato
6) Lag... really horrid lag when unlocking the phone, or when opening apps. This is because the phone doesn't seem to close applications. There are many task killer apps available in the marketplace... this phone really needs one. If you hold down the home key, it will show you all the stuff that's open ( or a lot of it ).

Not actually 100% correct. It's more down to the Hero being a slow and underspecified phone really. From what I've read, it's better not to use task managers because Android manages running applications very efficiently.

Associate
OP
Hmm, learn something new every day. Maybe it's a bit of a psychological thing, but i'm sure when I use that it speeds my phone up, mind... I always have apps for copy / paste and such running too. ( or did before it wiped itself ).

Associate
I'd say there is something wrong with your ROM if you're getting 1 & 2.

Are you on a custom ROM? I'd recommend Modaco 3.2 for a solid Android1.5 ROM that is also a bit faster than the standard one.

I have a taskiller but it is not set to autokill anything. I use it only if the phone feels slow. Other than that it just sits there and most of the time isn't even loaded.

I never encountered 4 because I never used the phone contacts in the first place. This is probably a use case that Google just hadn't thought of at the time they wrote Android 1.5 The only reason I'd use phone contacts was if I didn't want to trust the details to Google, hence wouldn't want to copy them to Google contacts.

Soldato
Not actually 100% correct. It's more down to the Hero being a slow and underspecified phone really. From what I've read, it's better not to use task managers because Android manages running applications very efficiently.
People keep saying that, but with specifications like the hero you really do need to kill tasks.

Soldato
People keep saying that, but with specifications like the hero you really do need to kill tasks.

Exactly what I was thinking. Using a task killer slowly makes you lose memory, meaning you need to reboot the phone every few days, but not using a task killer really noticably slows the phone down as the hardware in it is starting to show its age.

Soldato
1) My handset likes to hand up on people mid conversation. I have perfect signal, and there is no reason for it. I've left the phone on a desk once and watched it do this totally 100% by its self, without me even holding it. Any solutions?

Mine used to do this also, very very frequently too. Never quite figured out what it was and I tried a number of ROM's.

Very annoying.

Soldato
My Magic always seemed much quicker than the hero. Magic lasted shy of a year, Hero lasted a few months, we didnt get on lol

I did use a task killer on the hero and it did work, things would be a wee bit better for a while... was taskpanel lite i think

Back
Top Bottom