• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New card advice.

Associate
Hi OcUK, I feel my GTX 295 (2 card 1 slot version) is on it's last legs, always runs stupidly hot and I've done everything to fix it, cleaned heatsink and reapplied thermal paste etc.

I'm going to be looking to replace it soon and want something that will be equal in performance or just better but above all else, cooler.

Any suggestions? Can be nVidia or ATI, I'm no fanboi :)

Thanks.

Associate
If you're looking for a single card, I'd suggest a 5870 or 5970. Despite the GTX295's age, it is still a pretty powerful card, and will equal the 5850/5870. If you can go dual card, two 5850s would provide a lot more power and still run cool.

If you want them running cooler, for the love of God avoid Nvidia's offerings, they are expensive, drink power and are hot enough under load to cook off

Soldato
The only single card that's consistantly better than it is the 5970.

That's the only way you're going to get noticeably more performance than what you have now, unless you want to go down the SLi or Crossfire route?

Soldato
  • 1920x1200
  • GTX 295 (2 card 1 slot version) is on it's last legs
  • runs stupidly hot
  • looking to replace it soon
  • want something that will be equal in performance
  • or just better
  • above all else, cooler
Hello ajones32,

here are a few charts you may find interesting, a bunch of games all running at 1920x1200, all data from a TechSpot review . . . first up your older nVidia GeForce GTX 295 vs the Radeon HD 5850 . . . probably not a very fair comparison but still totally relevant to you! ;)

radeonhd5850vsgeforcegt.gif

Never even heard of the GTX 295 but it certainly performs like a monster! :eek: . . . I shudder to think how much you paid for that! :p . . . with all the FPS averaged out it outperforms the HD 5850 by approx 33% . . . I think Crysis Warhead, Far-Cry 2 and World in Conflict look like the only games that really test either card? . . . Crysis Warhead seems to be the game where your GTX 295 really delivers with a *huge* 61% performance advantage that helps keep the game nearer the magic 60FPS . . .

Quite like the idea of Crossfire.
It seems CrossFire technology has been slowly moving in the right direction and it's meant to be a lot more user-friendly now? . . . I've never personally used a Multi-GPU set-up before so I guess it's just a matter of time before I have to get my hands dirty! :o . . . anyway we looked at the HD 5850 above costing about £225 so the nearest CrossFire set-up would be a pair of Radeon HD 5770's (£125/£250) . . .

hd5850vshd5770cross.gif

Well if the data is accurate then those are some nice results! :eek: . . . averaged out the pair of HD 5770's offer a decent 27% performance advantage for it's £25 premium . . . it's faster in every game apart from Warhammer 40000 (I can't do the math for negative %!) and both set-ups still have a hard time with Crysis Warhead lol! :D . . . There may be extra expense for running two cards as one would need a good CrossFire motherboard, rugged PSU and a nice cool case but I don't think any of these requirements would be a problem for most OcUK gamers/benchers! ;) . . . I'm not sure what the temps are like but the power consumption is not to bad! :)

• 161w-316w Radeon HD 5850
  • 176w-396w Radeon HD 5770 *Crossfire" +9.3% Idle/+25.3% Load
  • 212w-472w Geforce GTX 295

I guess if one is considering spending £225 on a HD 5850 then Crossfired HD 5770's for £25 extra will certainly get a few people thinking? . . . Call of Duty:Modern Warfare 56% faster? . . . . Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X 60% faster? . . . what is going on here? . . . can those Crossfired figures be true? :eek: . . . Let's see how the pair of HD 5770's fare against the older Geforce GTX 295 . . . .

hd5770crossvsgtx295.gif

Not bad? . . . while the veteran Geforce GTX 295 had no real trouble keeping the HD 5850 in its place the little pair of HD 5770 rascals give it a bit more of a challenge! :D . . . Averaged out the older Geforce still holds an 5% performance advantage but loses pole position in four games, Call Of Duty, H.A.W.X, Resident Evil 5 and Street Fighter IV . . . that definitely is a lot of performance for the money, what do you think? :)

I should get this wrapped up really and I didn't even get time to look into modern nVidia cards and see how they stacked up? . . . one should definitely consider all the options but sadly my eyeballs are drooping out my head right now lol . . . I hope you (and anyone else) find this post helpful in some way and thanks for reading! :cool:

P.S:

If you decide that either a single HD 5850 or a pair of HD 5770's is still not enough rendering power then your crazy! :p . . . but if you want to be crazy and still not lose the plot completely I suppose from seeing how good CrossFire performance has become then the next step up the Radeon ladder would probably be a pair of these! . . . I expect these will be completely OTT for most but then again after seeing what people are like in this forum maybe not lol! :p

Radeon HD 5830 *CrossFire* £327.99

Soldato
No worries ajones32! :)

It seems used GTX 295 still sell for £200-£300 at auction, that's quite a bit of wonga in the pot should you decide the HD 5xxxx series is calling! :D

Soldato
Thats why i got cf5770's over a 5850, theres still people that think a 5850 is quicker though even in the face of so much evidence to the contrary. In reality it performs on par with a 5870 for a lot less, very happy with my cards :)

Soldato
Indeed! . . . . I've seen a few HD 5770's selling in OcUK MM for £100 and less which is food for thought . . .

I also just realised if going CrossFired HD 5830's you will need a PSU with four 6-pin PCI-E leads so that may limit a few peeps without a suitable PSU . . . CrossFired HD 5770's need just two 6-pin PCI-E! :)

xfxradeonhd5830heatsink.jpg

Radeon™ HD 5830/5850 *CrossFire* Power Requirements (4x 6-pin PCI-E)

Back
Top Bottom