Multi Monitor Setup

Soldato
Ok, at the moment I have dual monitors running off the 2 DVI ports on my gfx card.
Now I'm about to purchase a large TV and want to hook it up to my PC to watch movies etc, how do I go about doing this as both ports are being used? Do I need another gfx card?

Thanks

Soldato
You can get splitters like in the image. However I'm not sure if these just duplicate the image over two displays, or allow for the two monitors to show different images.

ibl2io.jpg

Soldato
If its just movie watching you want to use the tv for I would be tempted to get a basic low end card - thereby not affecting your main dual monitor setup by continually changing back and forth

edit - this info is more valid pre Win7 (I havent tried multi monitor setups recently so maybe different configs are easier to manage with newest OS)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
It is windows 7 - I'm sure I remember some kind of external splitter device that allows people to use 3 monitors off one gfx card being mentioned in the Multi Monitor Setup thread but I cant find it (I assume if it can do 3 monitors it could do 2 monitors and 1 TV).

Associate
Google dvi switch box, get a 2 port one. Then have the main monitor one cable, with the second monitor and TV off the other.

I think that works ? Sound will be interesting.

Soldato
OP
I'm already using an HDMI switch box to hook up my xbox/laptop to the same monitor (different setup) and its annoying because it moves my desktop icons around/sometimes screws up the resolution so I'd rather have a dedicated way of having all 3 connected at the same time.

Sound isn't a problem as I already have the sound from my computer hooked up to my hifi.

Associate
I have just asked the same question except I have a spare HDMI port. Can I run three monitors like this (all same res) even though i'm not using eyefinity?

Back
Top Bottom