Virtualbox on xp for existing dual boot ubuntu install?

Soldato
I looked at the manual but im a bit unsure of how these virtual machines work, from what i can see it wants me to install ubuntu again but i just want to run my existing install of ubuntu that i normally dual boot. :confused:

Soldato
What were you expecting to do, run your second OS within VirtualBox?

There are ways of doing this with Windows 7 I believe, but don't know of a way of doing it with XP - at least not without a lot of tweaking. And I believe the process used Virtual PC which is an MS VM software.

EDIT: Actually you could create an image using something like Macrium Reflect or others and convert it to a .vhd. Macrium has a tool for converting their images. Once it is a .vhd you can load it into VirtualBox. Though it won't be the actual Ubuntu install - just a copy. So anything you do in the VM wont be reflected in the native OS.

Soldato
OP
Yeah that was the idea, which is hardly an unreasonable expectation tbh, if you can't run an existing install then it kind of defeats the point surely?

Soldato
Well as I say it is not impossible and it looks like VirtualBox does support it

http://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3774

How well it works I couldn't say.

I would urge you to image your Linux partition before attempting this, just in case VB does something nasty to that disk. If your Windows and Ubuntu partitions are on the same physical HDD, I would strongly urging against attempting this.

You could total your Windows and Ubuntu if things go wrong.

Soldato
If you create a VHD of your current Ubuntu install, you can just use that. What is it you do in Ubuntu anyway?

If it is simply a case of messing around then a VM is perfect and you don't need a native install. The fact you wanted access from Windows suggests you run Windows more anyway.

Back
Top Bottom