• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What Card to get 470 or 5850 ??

Soldato
The reason why the 5850 increased in price, is becuase, there was no market threat from the GTX 470.

If there was, prices would have adjusted to match.

Im just shocked, that for its performance, the GTX 470 = 5870 for price!

Thats just horrendous!

Soldato

Nothing to do with greed! If they where greedy, they would reduce the price to put the squeeze even more on Nvidia and the gtx470, and steal evenmore sales.

There is no threat at all from the Nvidia 400 series, thus prices have stayed the same, or even increased!

If there was a significant threat from the 400 series from Nvidia, ATI would reduce prices to be more competative.

The point is that the Nvidia 400 series is not competitive at ts current price point, to scare ATI, and is even having an opposite effect.

The 400 Nvidia series is so horrendous, that ATI can up their prices.

The Fermi, is nothing but a market failure.

Nvidia, is probably losing money with every sale, that is how bad it is.

The same way Sony was losing money with ever PS3 sale.

Last edited:
Soldato
Additionally there really isnt anything one can say about that, becuase, the market does not lie!

ATI prices have stayed the same or increased, what conclusion other than the one above, can you draw from that?

I waited on buying a 5870 becuase I wanted to wait for fermi, to see if I get more for the same money, and also to benefit from the expected price drop on the amd/ati components.

But Nvidia, flopped, so the 5870 has not reduced in price!

Soldato
Just look at the price of the 265, now that's greed, well probably not so much greed but the fact that fermi is such a bad chip to manufacture they are probably already selling them at a loss. As said there is no competition for ATI, so blame Nvidia for the stagnant prices.

Associate
These god-awful nVidia cards are going to be around for a while aswell, I can't see an nVidia refresh anytime soon.

The people who have the nVidia 4xx series cards are happy, but most would agree that ATI is a lot better for the money in the current market.

Caporegime
well i thought AMD/ATi better bang for the buck so i went 58xx series.

turned out the drivers still suck and dont really work well with HDTV resolutions (google 1080p ATI Underscan) and you'll see some 2 year old problems that remain.

its unfortunate really because its been nearly 10 years since my last ati card, i think why not lets try them again surely it wont be so bad this time?

turns out its still terrible:/

Permabanned
OP
i was gonna opt for a 5870 again but seeing as i have already had one and the GTX480 coming up like that i thought it would be rude not to.

Only thing is now will it run on my 500W Psu ?

Back
Top Bottom