• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

whats the next best step from a 5770

Soldato
OP
Hey bigjimmyauk :)

what is the resolution you game at?

I'm interested to understand why you purchased a Premo x16/x16 crossfire board? . . . I'm sure you got your reasons to *not* want Crossfire HD 5770's but I just don't have any idea what they are?

I Game at native HD 1920x1080.

I bought the mobo for 3 reasons
1. my cousin is a gigabyte,corsair dealer so i got a very good discount on the board and my ram.
2.The good reviews the board had for it's overclocking potential,usb3,and that the board would be very likely to take the new x6 processors.
3.The option to crossfire if and when i wanted to dependant upon various things.

A few reasons that crossfire is not appealing to me at present are

1.More issues seem to arise from x fire than a single gpu solution
2. Worried about things like micro stutter affecting my experiance

C64

C64

Soldato
Sell the 5770 and get this card http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-215-AS&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=411 only go for xfire if you can bag a second hand 5770 for around £85.

Much more than that you may as well sell the 5770 and use the funds for a 5850.I just happen to think that the 5770 will hold it's value longer than the 5850 because xfiring 5770 is going to be very popular for a good while yet because of the low power draw especially.

Last edited:
Caporegime
is that for the announcement or release?

Sorry, I am not sure. I've read various approx time lines given. On the AMD forums it mentions end of Q2 for what I expect will be an announcement. Other random googling has mentioned more like Q4 - 2010 / Q1 - 2011. I would be inclined to look at it from receiving info to actually being in stores to purchase around the latter part of this year at the earliest, not before.

Re : micro stutter. I have the current card in my sig and I have not noticed micro stutter.

All the best with your choice. :)

Soldato
OP
Whats your budget ?

Did you not read the first post LOL

i've not set a budget as i want something that will suit my needs and not have to conform to a set budget. This doesn't mean i want the most expensive thing there is. But instead want something that is going to do what i want. I really would love to give x fire a go, but if i'm not impressed with it it'd be £154 down the drain (i got my original vapor x when they were £114.99)

Whats your suggestions fatboy(how about you loan me a 5770 and i'll see if i like x fire before buying) :p

Suspended
Whats your suggestions fatboy(how about you loan me a 5770 and i'll see if i like x fire before buying) :p

The loan is not possible I am afraid ;). Genuinely its a hard question to answer as there is clear gap in the market as others have said.

If I were in your situation I would go for a single 5850 as an upgrade now with a view to snap another one up later in the day when the prices come down.

Bit of information for you June is going to be a very bad month for all ATi cards production so I would make a decision quickly as prices are set to go up and not just a few pound either.

Sorry can not be any more help but it is a really hard question to answer.

Soldato
OP
The loan is not possible I am afraid ;). Genuinely its a hard question to answer as there is clear gap in the market as others have said.

If I were in your situation I would go for a single 5850 as an upgrade now with a view to snap another one up later in the day when the prices come down.

Bit of information for you June is going to be a very bad month for all ATi cards production so I would make a decision quickly as prices are set to go up and not just a few pound either.

Sorry can not be any more help but it is a really hard question to answer.

Appreciate the honesty.

Which models should i be looking at getting. I'm not really into voltage tweaking altho i don't mind using CAT AI to squeeze a little more out of it.

Associate
No problem, you'll love the performance gains!

Don't be afraid to ask here if you have problems. :)

fingers crossed i wont have to. This forums been excellent for me learning
about computers ive had nothing but help :D going to get the 5770 vapour-x in a few days then another in a few months, cant wait to crossfire them. then to start saving for 2 more monitors

Associate
Crossfired 5770's give fantastic performance, you won't be dissapointed. Mine have played everything i have thrown at them very smoothly. You have made the best choice as they will give much better performance than a 5850 :)

Very useful thread for the 5770 if you need any help :)

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18072807&highlight=official+5770+thread

bookmarked for reference once ive got the cards. cheers. glad ive made a decision, im like an excited school boy to get these installed crossfire and overclocked. within a few years (i know, low budget) i hope to have eyefinity with 3x2443bw's although i think i new desk might have to happen also

Back
Top Bottom