£500 Build check please :)

Associate
Hi guys :D

As I'm going to be moving out and to uni soon (hopefully), I will need a new computer, and as it was my birthday on the 5th the 'rents gave me £500 to spend on a computer for it.

I've looked into many of the other threads of around the same budget and I've decided to push my budget for i5, because I don't want to be tempted to 'waste' a chunk of my student loan on an i5 upgrade, like I know I will if I don't now.

Just wondered your opinions on this build, and weather I would be better off on an i3. Any money over £500 will be out of my own money, which I have none of. Importantly, is it all compatible?

i5:
Picture203.png

Has a lower end graphics than my i3 build, but a better processor (imo?). Thoughts?

i3:
Picture204.png

5770 overclocked graphics and 2.9 duel core.

Not even sure if I need a 5770, might just get the 5670 as in the i5 build to keep down my costs, I will only really be playing WoW, CSS, and other not-very-demanding games. And Folding.

(with lower GPU)
Picture205.png

Thanks! Jes

Last edited:

RJC

RJC

Don
Second one due to the better GPU.

Will you be using your own cpu cooler, as the oem is just a bare chip.

Caporegime
Or if you want AMD?

quad core, crossfire capable motherboard and a ok graphics card.

Untitledh-1.png

OR

dual core, still crossfire capable motherboard, but a 5770

Untitledhh.png

OR

HEX core, NOT crossfire capable and a ok graphics card

Untitledhhh.png

you get free delivery too, so take £12 off each build

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Folding isn't extremely important, I just leave it on sometimes when I remember.

I don't really like AMD or Nv, I don't know why, but all of my past expierances with it have ended in a not-as-good-as-the-other-option result.

Thanks for your input and feedback, I will go for the second option :)

Just to end, is a Freezer 7 still a good choice? The last build I did was early last year sometime and it was the best Bang:Buck back then. I won't be overclocking to the extreme, maybe have a play to get it to 3Ghz from the 2.93 or so (Is this possible wiht this low end Mobo?)

Cheers, Jes

Soldato
Associate
OP
Do I want a micro-ATX motherboard? Just about to buy it and I noticed the the mobo was micro-ATX. Surely an Antec 300 doesn't need micro-ATX.

Is that normal, I can't remember my last builds using micro-ATX.

Cheers.

Edit. I think its fine.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do I want a micro-ATX motherboard? Just about to buy it and I noticed the the mobo was micro-ATX. Surely an Antec 300 doesn't need micro-ATX.

Is that normal, I can't remember my last builds using micro-ATX.

Cheers.

Edit. I think its fine.
As long as you don't need the extra PCI-E slots etc, Micro-ATX boards are perfectly fine. Also it uses less energy than standard ATX boards :p

Soldato
It's also nice to have the option fo crossfire later on which you don't get with mATX.
1156 boards that can crossfire/SLI properly is 50-100% higher in price. Also, the PSU would need to be higher in W, unless it is CF5000 series below 5830/5850 (i.e. 5670, 5750, 5770).

I mean who got a 1156 socket CPU doesn't want a 1156 board that can crossfire/SLI? Unfortunately they ain't costing as little as £70.

Soldato
I'd go for an i3 rig around that price range, you can overclock up to 3.60GHz on the stock cooler iff that is any use to you which will give a stock i5 750 a run for its money, plus then you will be able to use the onboard graphics on your mobo!

Back
Top Bottom