• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

i7 vs i5 vs amd?

Associate
Hi guys,

im building a rig mainly for gaming, ive opted for a beast of a gpu as i like my settings as maxed out as possible so going for the saphire vapor-x 5870 the 2gb version. how much of a difference is the cpu going to make on the game?

at the moment ive got my eyes on an i7 930 however some friends are telling me i wont notice any in game difference at all if i opted for an i5 or even an amd phenom2 x4 or x6?

any help as always is appreciated i would like to save the money but it all depends on how much of a hit on frame rate etc ill loose from a cheaper chip.

Thanks again,

Soldato
At that resolution, games will be GPU limited first. The i5 750 is probably the best gaming GPU if you factor in price and performance. That or the Phenom II x4 955. The 955 has cheaper motherboards (much cheaper for the same feature set), and is a little cheaper itself.

If you are only gaming with this rig, don't bother with an i7. If you'll be doing encoding, or something where hyperthreading makes a difference, then perhaps an i7 or X6 would be worth it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for that,so it does look like i can change my options round and opt for the i5 and save a couple of hundred quid loved your project shrink ray btw good use of what little space you had :)

Permabanned
For gaming you will be better off going with i5 as they have the onboard pcie to reduce latency, or if you want the grunt go for 1156skt i7 860 as it has all the benefits of the i5 for gaming and is more powerful than the i7 920.
The only downside the the i7 860 is the P55 motherboards only usually have 1 x fullspeed x16 slot and go down to x8 if using crossfire or sli, but seeing as i am using 1 graphics card i am fine with it :D

Oh and folks say there is hardly and difference between x16 and x8 in performance anyway.

Just my 2 cents, good luck deciding.

Associate
I5 750, or AMD 965. Intel gives better performance if you spend the time to overclock it, but the I5 platform has no real future because intel change sockets like socks.

If you go the AMD route you will be able to slot a bulldozer into the same motherboard for a big boost in the next year or so.

I5 750 or AMD 965 will have no speed issues with any current games at your res, unless you plan on getting an extra 5970 to run tri-crossfire with lol. Then your only option is intel, thats where I7 shines.

Lots of options atm :)

Back
Top Bottom