• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Q9450 v i5 750 v i7 860

Associate
I currently have a Q9450 I'm wondering wether I would get noticable gains from an i5 750 or i7 860. I work with 3ds Max, zbrush and photoshop frequently, however it's usually for game asset type models so not talking about huge render time scenes. I also occasioanly use premier for video composition. Plus I game a lot :D

I know I wont be seeing huge gains, espiecally with the i5. Really the main reason is I want to do a down size and would love to use this board. Also I've totally got the system building bug :D

What are your thoughts?

Man of Honour
With a good clock on the Q9450 I doubt you'd see a massive difference especially for the outlay and hassle of changing most of the system and reinstalling windows.

Soldato
Looks like you've already made up your mind :)

Don't know about the works you do but for games the Q9450 at 3.7Ghz is certainly powerful enough. But if you just fancy a change and have the time and money for it then why not?

Associate
OP
If I could find a high spec micro atx lga775 DDR3 then I would happily stick to my Q9450. But I can't :(

I guess I could sell my ddr3 and get some ddr2 and an Asus Maximus II. Perhaps that would make more sense.

Last edited:
Soldato
I just found Core i7 860 being sold for £180. That would be a decent upgrade over what you have right now, it overclocks fairly easily to 4GHz and have HT.

Associate
OP
Could you send me an e-mail in trust? :)

Edit: I just changed the e-mail address, as I don't have access to the one I had up before. Just incase you've already sent me a message.

Last edited:
Associate
so 1156 is being replaced =/ i just upgraded yesterday as my 775 board (which i was planning to keep for awhile) died on me, so i had to upgrade =/

Associate
I have a Q9450 and was thinking of getting i5 750 set up but if the gain is not worth the £400+ outlay i'll also hold off a bit longer.

Soldato
I have the 860 and had the Q9450 before.

Not sure if the same speed would produce any noticable difference but the overclockability difference is huge. But I'm finding its actually overkill all that power

3.2ghz vs 4ghz!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom