What car for 3k?

Kae

Kae

Permabanned
Yes, I know, yet another What Car thread!

I've had a 2.2TiD Saab for just over a year now, it's cost me £2k so far (ultra unreliable) and with the prospect of another £1k at least in the next 6 months, I just want to get rid!

I think I'll get just over £3k for it (53plate 80k miles, in reasonable nick) so what car would you suggest?

It doesn't need to be as big, as it's just me, but I can't stand little "girly" cars. I do 15-18k miles a year, so can't be something stupid on fuel, mid to high 30's at least if possible.

I don't like french cars, they're a pain in the backside to work on, and build quality is usually dire... And I DON'T want a Mondeo!!! (Edit).

So what would you suggest?

Last edited:

Kae

Kae

Permabanned
OP
Not particular about petrol or diesel.

I really DON'T want a Mondeo, no, never, yuck.

A4 diesel for 3k is going to be stupid mileage.

Soldato
I'm currently in the same boat so may use this thread as future reference. I'm toying with the idea of a second car although I currently only have circa £3k.

Ideas so far mainly include Volvos, S60 and so forth although for this price range they seem to be bangers.

Soldato
A4 diesel for 3k is going to be stupid mileage.

What is stupid mileage then?

Theres a couple on Autotrader:

1999 AUDI A4 2.5 TDi SE 5dr Auto Diesel Avant - 80k miles 3195 (trade)
2001 AUDI A4 2.5 TDI 180 Quattro Sport 4dr Diesel Saloon - 80k miles 3650 ono (private)

These are the larger engined ones, but its just for example.

Soldato
I have an 02 Civic Coupe 1.7 VTEC with 51K miles 130 BHP 40+ MPG for that kind of money if you're interested? Its an ex-demo so has tan leather with green piping, 16" alloys etc etc

Other than that if you want a reliable car I would go Jap for 3K and look at Civics/Accords etc, they are literally bomb proof

Kae

Kae

Permabanned
OP
naefeart I take it back, that's substantially less than I was expecting!

TS7 - Maybe, I'll have to see how much I can get for it. It has a few minor cosmetic rouch edges inside, but it's had a new turbo, intercooler and catalytic converter recently, so perhaps that'll help the price?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
naefeart I take it back, that's substantially less than I was expecting!

TS7 - Maybe, I'll have to see how much I can get for it. It has a few minor cosmetic rouch edges inside, but it's had a new turbo, intercooler and catalytic converter recently, so perhaps that'll help the price?

New turbo, intercooler, cats - keep the damn saab. Dont throw all that money in the bin :)

Man of Honour
What is stupid mileage then?

Theres a couple on Autotrader:

1999 AUDI A4 2.5 TDi SE 5dr Auto Diesel Avant - 80k miles 3195 (trade)
2001 AUDI A4 2.5 TDI 180 Quattro Sport 4dr Diesel Saloon - 80k miles 3650 ono (private)

These are the larger engined ones, but its just for example.

The 99 is the really old 94 model and the 01 has something odd about it at this price. An Audi is not the answer to this question.

Man of Honour
New clutch needed in the next couple of months, couple of tyres... and a clutch job on the Saab will also need a dual mass flywheel...

Wait did you just cite 'A couple of tyres' in the 'reasons for buying a new car'?

Seriously, what?

Think about this logically for a minute. You want to buy a £3k car. The £3k car market is not awash with mint condition cars with FSH, 4 new tyres, a recent cambelt, blah blah. Anything you buy is as likely to need things like a clutch and 2 tyres in the future as your Saab!

Keep the Saab, dont dive into the world of cheap diesels, you'll just have to keep spending cash etc.

Back
Top Bottom