New planet found

Caporegime
He seems like a tool. When has gravity ever effected the boiling point of water?

Having not seen the video I don't know what its about but please god don't say the person has mistaken a reduction in atmospheric pressure as you get higher for gravity affecting the boiling point of water!:p

Associate
He seems like a tool. When has gravity ever effected the boiling point of water?

He did seem to stumble over that point...

He is a correct tool though :) since the boiling point of a liquid depends on its pressure.

At 1 earth atmosphere pressure, water boils at 100 degrees C, at higher pressures it boils hotter, at lower pressures it boils colder. Water boils instantly in a vaccuum for example, and a pressure cooker works by increasing the pressure inside so that food can cook at a higher temperature without boiling (I think).

The larger size of the planet is why it has a higher gravity, which means atmospheric pressure is higher, and so is the water pressure, meaning it could be much hotter without boiling.

I can't remember what temperatures they said in the video, and I certainly am not going to put myself through it again to find out...

I've visited the US a few times now, and the TV never gets any better. This is fairly typical of the drivvle they broadcast on a regular basis :(

Associate
Having not seen the video I don't know what its about but please god don't say the person has mistaken a reduction in atmospheric pressure as you get higher for gravity affecting the boiling point of water!:p

No he was saying that since the planet is twice the size of earth the boiling point of water is higher. But I can't be bothered to work out if it's a few degrees difference or the hundreds that they were talking about. It's in the right direction though, although they couldnt agree on whether it was fahrenheit or celsius they were talking about :p

Soldato
why hasn't it been spotted before, WHEN they have spotted many other planets, and the "only" known habitable plant/solar system is 200 light years away

I think it's only just recently that the methods for detecting planets like this have been discovered, that's why over the last few years we've had so many new planet discoveries.

Back
Top Bottom