Accident, what to do?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
That sounded like a case of stasnding your ground and crashing or stopping.
For some reason, she did neither..

Caporegime
Very poor driving on the part of the cabbie by the sounds of it, but it still sounds to me like she was going too fast and / or too close.

She should have spotted the cab at the side of the road, thought "Hmm, nutter cabbie" and allowed for the likely chance that he will pull out (and often do a 180!)......

Expect the un-expected etc etc etc

Soldato
Erm, a hell of a lot of people seem to be giving strange responses here, why are you asking why she didn't just stop? she wasn't the one at fault, would you ask a shooting victim why they didn't move out of the way where somebody was firing a gun?

The cab driver tried to change lane into one with a car in it meaning he either didn't bother to check his mirror or didn't care (either driving without due care or attention or dangerous driving).

You have two witnesses (although no independent one) which will give you an advantage in court if it goes there. Your correct to contact the police over this after all what would have happened if he had forced her up the kerb and she had hit somebody?

His claim of not hitting somebody so not having to give details is rubbish, if you pull out at a junction and force an oncoming car to swerve into a wall that's your fault, this is no different

Permabanned
His claim of not hitting somebody so not having to give details is rubbish, if you pull out at a junction and force an oncoming car to swerve into a wall that's your fault, this is no different
How do you suggest proving it without any independant witnesses though? Can you imagine the amount of false claims there would be if you could just say someone sent you off the road but no one else saw it. Those gangs that go around trying to get people to rear end them would have a much easier job if it was that easy.

Man of Honour
Except it was until someone tried to change lanes without looking. Don't be an idiot in every thread you enter.

Don't be so rude and insulting to the people giving you the opinions you ASKED us for.

The point is not what happened but what can be proved without witnesses.

There is as much evidence she over-reacted and drove into a curb as there is that it was all the taxi drivers fault.

We will never know what really happened, neither will a court, nothing can ever come of this, IMHO.

Soldato
How do you suggest proving it without any independant witnesses though? Can you imagine the amount of false claims there would be if you could just say someone sent you off the road but no one else saw it. Those gangs that go around trying to get people to rear end them would have a much easier job if it was that easy.

two witnesses vs one is an advantage, you have to prove somebody guilty beyond all reasonable doubt in criminal court, in civil court you have to prove them >50% guilty

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox;16755116 said:
Don't be so rude and insulting to the people giving you the opinions you ASKED us for.

The point is not what happened but what can be proved without witnesses.

There is as much evidence she over-reacted and drove into a curb as there is that it was all the taxi drivers fault.

We will never know what really happened, neither will a court, nothing can ever come of this, IMHO.

Fair enough, my apologies.

Basically what I am trying to ascertain is what can be done to report it etc. I understand that nothing can be proved, and I told my mum she should have got an independent witness.

Soldato
Basically if she had time to think about it and sound her horn then she should have stopped first. Albeit the taxi driver being a bit aggressive maybe.

Always expect the unexpected especially if you're passing traffic on your right.

Andi.

Soldato
OP
She did, but if you are doing the speed limit and someone cuts into your lane, you can't really do much about it. Sure you can have time to sound the horn, but if you don't have enough distance to stop fully then you are going to hit unless someone swerves.

Or I may have misunderstood the situation and she was in traffic which had moved ahead and the minicab driver thought he'd nip in front.

Either way it is possible.

Back
Top Bottom