In need of a new AV setup

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Tesla

Are they likely to knock 10% off though? Even knock anything off?

youre spending close to £600 or more I'm pretty sure they will knock something off or maybe give you some speaker wire for free.

Floorstanders are quite a bit better than standmounts cos they deliver better bass etc etc.

Also get Richers to set it all up and Demo it for you take a DVD - Gladiator would be a good bet as it has a really good DTS soundtrack, sit and watch the first battle scene and see what you think :p

EDIT: I think they will be ok next to the TV but really I would try to leave at least a foot or more between them, check the speakers are magnetically shielded and you will be fine.

Oh one final thing, dont get different lengths of speaker cable for your different speakers.

if one rear is 8m and one 9m get to lengths of 9 metres.

Man of Honour
finally mate one more thing

phone up and make sure they have everything in stock.

DO NOT let them sales people talk you into buying other products if they are out of stock.

Oh and another

BUY WHAT HIFI - I think the new one is about to come out, Richers normally have a 6-8 page spread in there of special offers so check to see if any of the kit is in there for cheaper, if so Take it with you as you need What Hifi to prove the offer.

good luck.

Soldato
Thanks for the replies. I edited my earilier post and added all the prices. Thanks for the heads up on the speaker wire length. Something like that wouldn't even cross my mind but it does make perfect sense.

I think i could just about sqeeze in floorstanders.

Thanks for all your help,

\\Chris

Man of Honour
hehe mate just checked yer pricing post

the 6 metres of biwire should only cost you £30

6*£5 = £30

would you look at that managed to save you another £30

:p

Soldato
Originally posted by memphisto
hehe mate just checked yer pricing post

the 6 metres of biwire should only cost you £30

6*£5 = £30

would you look at that managed to save you another £30

:p

LOL, thanks for saving me even more money. New total = £1093.
My budget was £1000 so that price if perfect!

If RS give me 10% off thats another £40 saving :D

\\Chris

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Tesla
LOL, thanks for saving me even more money. New total = £1093.
My budget was £1000 so that price if perfect!

If RS give me 10% off thats another £40 saving :D

\\Chris

actually

speakers and amp £419
Speaker Wire £100
Tosh 330e £70

total £600

10% saving = £60 lol

anopther £20 I've saved you lol :p

Soldato
Originally posted by memphisto
actually

speakers and amp £419
Speaker Wire £100
Tosh 330e £70

total £600

10% saving = £60 lol

anopther £20 I've saved you lol :p

I didn't account for the wire and DVD player. Dont ask me why?

Its only a few pounds over £1000 now. That is truly fantastic.

Final question, do RS do gift vouchers. I can get these for XMas from family members if they do. IF i put in enough hours over the XMAS period I should be able to have this setup very soon!

WooHoo!

Oh, Will go buy What HiFi. Bought it before when we were looking for a DVD player for downstairs so I know what you are reffering to with the ad's and everything.

Another thing, Is it advisable to buy things in stages?

I was intendning on getting the TV first. I can get the DVD player as an XMas pressie. Then i could get the amp and floorstanders. Then add the centre and rears at a later date. Or would you recommend saving up and getting it all at once?

\\Chris

Last edited:
Soldato
Something else just crossed my mind.

How do i attach the rear speakers to the wall?

They will be attached to a brick wall if that info is of any help.

\\Chris

Soldato
I will be getting a NAD C320BEE amplifier soon and when I can afford it, replace my tacky over-styled cheap looking speakers.

I will be using it for music mainly, and soon enough, I will probably sell it all, or most of it on when I decide to replace it for a home cinema. I could have both, but that will depend on how much money I can save (probably loads when I am out of full time education and have something that actually doesn't pay peanuts :))

Obviously I want to amass a good selection of DVDs first though :)

Permabanned
sorry bout jumping in here but i have a question about biwiring,anyway, i've just ordered some celestion f10 speakers (with are biwirable) , i thought that to bi wire you just ran 1 set of wires to each terminal and the amp end stayed the same ?

i.e +(amp end) to + + (speaker end) and visa versa for negative

i have made cat5's with 3 runs=12/12 wires ,was just gonna split 6+6/6+6 per terminal.

Soldato
Originally posted by Gamefreak501
I heard that with biwiring, from

www.superfi.co.uk

you have to have two power amplifiers connected to a pre amplifier or a power amplifier connected to an integrated amplifier.

Biwiring has something to do with two amplifiers driving the bass and treble separately.

no it doesn't. thats where i originally got confused.

Bi-wiring is the method of seperating the wires for the bass/mids/treble right back to the amp. That minimises distortion and cross-talk as much as possible without resorting to........

bi-amping. This is where you take it one step further and use seperate amps to drive each unit in the speaker.

Soldato
Originally posted by james.miller
no it doesn't. thats where i originally got confused.

Bi-wiring is the method of seperating the wires for the bass/mids/treble right back to the amp. That minimises distortion and cross-talk as much as possible without resorting to........

bi-amping. This is where you take it one step further and use seperate amps to drive each unit in the speaker.

Oops :o Thanks for the correction!

Associate
Have you purchased M7 series speakers yet?

If not change the M7c1 to the newer and better M7c2.

Mission m7c2 center speaker is far superior to the poor old M7c1.

Here is a picture, as you can see it is a much better model than the M7c1.

center.jpg

You can get one for £109.99 at www.hifibitz.com

Back
Top Bottom