• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Official 5830 Thread!

Soldato
OP
Reinstalling now, gonna go with 10.5a from fresh and see how things go. Hopefully this will be the end of my troubles!

Only reason I'm going with 10.5a is because there were issues with CF with 10.2, and I'm still considoring it in the future. If 10.5a plays up again I'll wipe again, reinstall with 10.2 and not bother with Crossfire, by then I'll have had enough. :p

Associate
I hate to be a cynic but your issues sound more than driver related. Plus it takes a lot to hose an OS install so much that you need to reinstall, but you sound like your a patient person with all those re-installs so I wish you luck this time around!

I have Windows 7 on my gaming PC and I treat it like crap but it still runs like a charm - that includeds loads of different driver versions.

Now, I've been in the wars too.

I just upgraded my gaming PC from a E6850 to a Q9450 and ran into many random hanging issues again at 400 FSB overclock. I spent TWO DAYS troubleshooting, only to find it was one simple setting. Oh what fun overclocking is:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18154018

I'm now running the Q9450 at 3.2Ghz all at default voltages apart from the darn Southbridge that has been the bain of my life on this board (it caused my earlier issues too) - and the two extra cores really pay off with the 5830 and BC2. Not many games use quad core yet however.

I know you're not overclocking Muel, but perhaps enter your bios and try bumping up your voltages just a small amount to see if it helps with stability.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That's all next on the list. I've reinstalled W7 now, then 10.5a and it seems OK so far...

I'm going to leave it on overnight and see if it's still turned on in the morning.

Soldato
OP
Just had two BSODs.... Looks like 10.5a is no good for me after all. :p

It was fine from installing the new GPU with 10.2 on the 8th May to upgrading to 10.5a on the 27th, since then it's been nothing but trouble.

I'm going to wipe again, and go back to 10.2. I was going to anyway as I tried Adobe CS5 yesterday and it was a bit rubbish IMO. :p

I'm not ruling out hardware trouble yet, I'm just going through the motions. First job is to get the a fresh OS installed and get everything perfect from the off, and back to the last known configuration that worked perfectly, then if the issues continue I can begin testing with hardware again.

If it is hardwareified, I reckon the first step will be to RMA the 5830, but I can test anyway because I have a spare 4670 that was working perfectly not so long ago.

EDIT: No problems so far with 10.2, although I've been monitoring Event Viewer and there was a memory leak warning earlier on...

EDIT: With 10.2 my idle clocks are still 400/1050. Not happy at all with that... Anyone have any idea why they'd be idleing so high with 10.2? I'd much rather it went back to 157/300 to lower the power usage. It also means my idle temp is now 39C, whereas with 157/300 it was more like 30C.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Right after a spot of testing, I've found that if I clock down to 600/900, the idle drops to 157/300, but as soon as clock back to stock settings the idle rises to 400/1050 again.

I'm really starting to hate ATI a little bit....

EDIT: Just frozen up again. OH JOY. Time to start the long process of testing, RMAing and messing around. Just what I don't need when I use this computer for working on and earning money...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Been testing all day yesterday and today, and all I've done is rule out the graphics card and drivers. Oh happy days... :p

All of the error messages I've had point towards a ram problem, so I've set it to 1333mhz at stock volts instead of 1600mhz. One of my mates has the same ram and motherboard and he couldn't get 1600 at all, so that's the next thing to test.

Got a friend considering this. Either this or a Nvidia card around the same price range. What would be better?

This definately, if you look at this Benchmark/Review then you can see from the results that the 465 is thrashed by the 5830. BUT, if you want better drivers you'd probably be better with nVidia.

Soldato
OP
Sooo, finally found the problem. My motherboard was borked, turned out the warranty was void, so I gritted my teeth, and now I have a nice Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H. So much better than the Asus one, and what's more my computer runs!

Running a fresh install of Windows now, (yes, yet another), with 10.6, seem to work fine for me. Still considoring another 5830 and an SSD. We'll see. The new board has SATA 3 so it'd be an ideal upgrade really.

Soldato
OP
Just locked up again. Doesn't seem to have as much trouble as before, but still some issues here.

Must. Bite. Tongue.

Brand new motherboard, fresh Windows install and it's still borked. YAY.

Associate
I'm after one of these cards My two favourite brands are Sapphire and XFX but I'm not sure which to buy, Which one is better in terms of cooling and warranty etc.

Soldato
OP
The general consensus is the Sapphire is best for overclocking, the Powercolor for not overclocking.

If you have a read through this thread, there's a lot of information about them. The Powervolor come pre-overclocked, but has a low voltage and a 5870 cooler, so pretty useless for overclocking, but runs very very cool. I've been getting 55C loads...

Soldato
OP
Nah probably not, the 5830 beats it in all the benchmarks I've seen if I remember correctly.

Anyone running their's with 10.6 drivers and having funny artifacts when playing flash videos? Don't think it's a problem with the card as it's only on flash videos, nothing else. It's on pretty much every flash video I've tried though, so maybe an incompatibility between 10.6 and the latest flash player?

Back
Top Bottom