Overclocking I7 920 on Asus P6X58D-E

Caporegime
Looks like your getting somewhere Fel, if you could post up a list or a few screenshots of your bios settings it could help. Particularly your voltage settings such as qpi, pll, ich/ioh.

Heres a few of mine on my p6t dlx v2, hopefully give you an idea of what settings to play with.

Photo-0095.jpg

Photo-0096.jpg

Though on the above screen ive since changed qpi/dram voltage to 1.312500, uclk frequency should be 2 x your memory speed and qpi link data rate should ideally be kept below 8000mt/s, btw your load temps at 4ghz are very good.:)

Fel

Fel

Associate
OP
Ran Prime95 for 2 hours max temp was 75c.

Just found a new BIOS version so think i am going to flash the BIOS and take it back up to 4Ghz.

Will send some screenshots of my settings when i get chance - unless anyone knows how to extract the BIOS settings into text file.

Fel

Fel

Associate
OP
BIOS now flashed to version 0303.

Reset my settings for 4GHZ overclock.

DRAM Bus will not accept 1.66v now but will now except 1.65v (it still shows it in red and gives a big warning - which I am ignoring)

* Note it would not allow me to load my OCProfile as it said settings did not match.

I am having to remove plug from PSU to properly change BIOS settings - I think this explains any frustration i have been having trying to restart after BIOS tweaks.

So when changing BIOS I :

1. Press F10 to save and exit.
2. PC Switches off
3. PC Powers back up but does not post.
4. Power PC off and remove plug for 30 seconds
6. Power back in and restart PC
6. Memok lights flashes a few times, before going off.
7. PC Starts

Now running Prime95 again to see if the temps improve with the BIOS upgrade (not expecting much change tbh)

Last edited:

Fel

Fel

Associate
OP
Deffinatly use the bios, also if its new to you, take the time to read the manual, it may not help u as such, but i think it will to know where things are in what menu and stuff.

This quide is'nt for your mobo, but it will help to understand what needs changing and stuff

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/22106-core-i7-overclocking-guide-beginners.html

For all of you wanting screenies - I am just following the instructions in the above thread.

When I have stabilised at 4.0GHZ i will either try to go for 4.2GHZ or start winding back the voltages to see if I can get it stable at lower temps.

Soldato
Mmm You should'nt be having to do that long winded way to get it to post, when adding new settings it can take a few starts for the mobo to test the settings, this should be automatic, and may look like its not posting.

Leave it abit and after 3 or 4 attemps it will post and show failed overclock, if that is an issue, or it will post and start to load windows.

If you are not used to seeing this testing phase it may look like its not posting, it is just the mobo testing the new settings and is totally normal, next time leave it to see if it will post after 30secs-1min, if not then do your way.

Fel

Fel

Associate
OP
I have been leaving it for a few minutes but still no action. Maybe i will just walk away for 10 minutes and let it do its thing.

Got my first BSOD last night. This is under BIOS 0303 using all the same settings as under 0108 except the DRAM voltage change from 1.66v down to 1.65v. Need to check what the error was.

Soldato
Its weird that you have to do that, kinda has me stumped as why. As iv yet to encounter that at all, or even use the Mem OK.

But yay the good old BSOD lol, i still get the odd one from time to time, mainly when F@H, even though my clock is rock solid in all stress tests.

One thing you may have to start raising is qpi/dram voltage, as with sub 4ghz clocks its fine keeping it stock, just above stock, but when u are 4ghz+ u really have to start raising this, and thats where a lot of heat can come from.

Ram voltage is fine fel, its at the rated volts for the memory, and you are at rated speed and timings, so can't see that being an issue, its probably the qpi, or vcore.

Fel

Fel

Associate
OP
I will persevere with the reboot, as long as i don't have to keep ripping off the side panel to get to the Memok button then it is not too bad.

BSOD occurred when running Prime95 - message relates to Kernel Power.

qpi/dram is at 1.30v so i guess i can play around with that.

I am just trying 3.8Ghz by switching Turbo-mode off, leaving hyperthreading on. Just to explore the various settings. Clearly this means i will need to increase BCLK to get it back up to 4.0Ghz so interested in any comments around taking that route. Or should i leave in Turbo-mode and try increasing QPI to stabilise it?

Any tips on taking it up to 4.2 or is it just not worth it?

Soldato
Kernal power usually means you need abit more on the vcore, or thats how i understand it.

For 4ghz with turbo off, you will need 200bclk and 20 multi, the mobo can easily handle that bclk so no worries there. That will allow you to run 1600mhz on the memory, and also if u wanted to go 4.2ghz at some point all u would need to do is change the multi to 21 and tweak volts if needed.

Volts both vcore and qpi will be roughly the same as your other 4ghz clock.

Just a side note, your not the only one having issues atm, im still having to tweak my clock, for use with F@H, its rock solid for any/all stress testing, just random Blue screens once in a blue moon when folding, it really is a pain to solve this stuff, but hey ho.

How im testing atm is, having my stable clock for stress tests put into the bios, and im tweaking settings using turbo V whilst in windows, to check stuff, then when i know iv got a balanced system for my uses, i'll re-enter it all into the bios.

What annoys me the most though is that my BSOD's are allways differnent things, never the same over and over, and are a total pain to diagnose. But hey ho, thats overclocking and using comps for you lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom