*** The all new iPhone 4 thread - Keep all iPhone 4 stuff in here ***

Caporegime
If they have an always on connection, what's the push part for? And if it is always on, that sounds like its going to be very bad for the battery, so I don't think it will be always connected. Got a link to your old post where you explained how it works or care to explain again?

If the BB just did Push email first, then I'm still not seeing whats so special about email on BB these days.

The push part is for the email, nothing else...and usually it doesnt affect battery life all that much unless your getting 100's of emails per min or hr...past BB devices ie the 9000 Bold wasnt great on battery but the new 9700 Bold is superb for battery...i can easily get around 2 days of useage out of it depending on how hard i use it.

Nothing special ultimately about the BB email system other than it works...perhaps you should try one out and see how well it integrates into the whole BB OS....also remember that the email system and BB OS is the most secure of all devices especially if your on a BES...which is mainly used in corporate environments.

Heres the definition of push email that i had posted a few months back:

Blackberry said:
By using an Network Operating Center (NOC), the BlackBerry method represents the most battery and data efficient method for push email. In a lay person’s term, the email is forwarded to your BlackBerry by the RIM-operated NOC only when there is email. And even then, only the first chunk of email is sent. In the absence of email, nothing at all happens, and your BlackBerry behaves much like a normal mobile phone.

As you can imagine, unless you receive a hundred emails an hour, enabling push email on the BlackBerry does not normally result in any noticeable reduction in battery life.

RIM is able to do that because of your BlackBerry registers itself with your Telco, which forwards the information on to the RIM NOC. The result is that the NOC now knows exactly where to forward your emails to. This is also the reason why a normal data plan is not adequate to give you BlackBerry email services.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes. Sais its left shenzen to hong kong, now currently in transit to destination country.. hope arrives on time, i go on hols saturday

can you not track yours? e.g. is it stuck at apples end?

Comes up with an exclamtion mark and says to call them for tracking information, when was yours shipped? :(

Ahh it's changed now on TNT

11 Jul 2010 16:12:43 Hong Kong Shipment In Transit

Wonder why apple says delayed

Last edited:
Soldato
The push part is for the email, nothing else...and usually it doesnt affect battery life all that much unless your getting 100's of emails per min or hr...past BB devices ie the 9000 Bold wasnt great on battery but the new 9700 Bold is superb for battery...i can easily get around 2 days of useage out of it depending on how hard i use it.

Nothing special ultimately about the BB email system other than it works...perhaps you should try one out and see how well it integrates into the whole BB OS....also remember that the email system and BB OS is the most secure of all devices especially if your on a BES...which is mainly used in corporate environments.

Heres the definition of push email that i had posted a few months back:

Thanks makes sense now. I guess a few years back it was a major advancement over the iPhone, but with the battery life of the new iPhone and Push it isn't as big unless you really need your phone to last 2 days while constantly receiving email.

Soldato
Maybe you cant but many people do...and the service isnt the same not in the slightest because the email system on the BB is always on ie its always connected to the BB server...thats why its so reliable as long as you have reception. I wont give an explanation of how the BB email system works because ive done it before and no one paid any attention to it. Also rememebr that the push email is integrated into the BB OS...so it doesnt affect the battery life of the device unlike the iphone does...wont slate the iphone4 as it seems like hte battery life on it has improved from what i have read so far....good job on apple for making it more efficient.

I agree that the iphone has a better screen for reading emails but then ive never ever had an issue with reading emails on any of my BB's...sure its not pretty but then most BB users arent interested in the fancy GUI of the iphone...its there in simple black and white on BB's....althought OS6 which is the new OS for BB's looks immense ie widgets and a better user GUI...plus a much reportedly faster web browser than the iphone and Android platforms.

Everything you just described is pretty much dead on what the iPhone does.

Oh well :D

Soldato
Can we stop the Blackberry vs iPhone bickering now please. They're different phones for different people, end of story.

Are we any closer to being able to pop into an Apple store and picking one up yet or is there still a waiting list? And are there still people queuing outside o2 stores in the mornings? I don't really fancy cruising between stores to no avail!

Caporegime
Can we stop the Blackberry vs iPhone bickering now please. They're different phones for different people, end of story.

Are we any closer to being able to pop into an Apple store and picking one up yet or is there still a waiting list? And are there still people queuing outside o2 stores in the mornings? I don't really fancy cruising between stores to no avail!

Nope im on the priority list at regent st and that was around week and half ago i went on it...i reckon my apple direct order will get here faster than the one at regent st....the guy did say its a pretty big list.

Soldato
I can't get my hands on one for love nor money. Stores tried in Exeter today:

Apple Store - No Stock, currently on waiting list.
Carphone Warehouse - 16 and 32GB in stock, won't sell me on PAYG or SIM free.
Phones4U - No stock, won't sell one on PAYG or SIM free anyway.
Orange Shop - 16 and 32GB in stock, won't sell me one on PAYG.

Phoned Cribbs Causeway and Bristol Centre Apple stores - no stock.

Although I think the white models might be right around the corner and apparantly Apple stores have stock of those?

Back
Top Bottom