Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Hi guys,

I'm going to be popping into my LBS at the end of the month in the hope of acquiring a good hard tail MTB. As I don't know that much about bikes, I don't want to get ripped off or end up with bad components. Are there any things that I should look out for when buying a bike?

I'm probably going to be spending up to £1000 for the bike. Any minimum sort of things I should expect with a bike at that price?

Thanks

Man of Honour
Hi guys,

I'm going to be popping into my LBS at the end of the month in the hope of acquiring a good hard tail MTB. As I don't know that much about bikes, I don't want to get ripped off or end up with bad components. Are there any things that I should look out for when buying a bike?

I'm probably going to be spending up to £1000 for the bike. Any minimum sort of things I should expect with a bike at that price?

Thanks

Just a few to base some specs on

Genesis Altitude 10 2010 Mountain Bike
Specialized Rockhopper SL Expert 2010
Genesis Core 40 2010 Mountain Bike
Charge Duster Mid 2010 Mountain Bike
Sunn Prim S2 2010 Mountain Bike

Associate
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en...code_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CB0Q8gEwAA

Yes, that's the junction. Just turn in there, follow the road round to the right and park on the scrubland at the bottom of the lane. You'll see other cars parked up there with racks etc. Then start peddaling up the lane, my favoured technique is to find something interesting on the front wheel and don't look up till you reach the gate :D

Cheers guys,

We parked further up the road to the right hand side, theres a bit of hard standing.

1st climb is a killer, and after a heavy weekend at Silverstone my fitness was shot.

Some great riding there, going again on the 24th.

Soldato
Just a few to base some specs on

Genesis Altitude 10 2010 Mountain Bike
Specialized Rockhopper SL Expert 2010
Genesis Core 40 2010 Mountain Bike
Charge Duster Mid 2010 Mountain Bike
Sunn Prim S2 2010 Mountain Bike

Thanks, I'll have a look after work :)

I'll probably be doing XC and trails so I'll want to wear arm and knee pads. Is there much need for shin pads for this type of riding?

Im also trying to decide what sort of pedals I want. What do people here tend to use, clipless or flats?

Last edited:
Soldato
Most of the time I don't wear knee/shin/elbow pads. If it's a particularly narly trail then I'll put on light knee and elbow pads..sometimes. The only XC trail in the uk that needs shin pads is Nevis red IMO. But you do see a fair amount of people wearing light knee/elbow pads on the trails.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I wear my kneepads, always - no matter what I ride.

Yeah but your a big girl :p I wear long socks :D

When for a ride around Dalby today with Knightstalker, had a blast around the red route and World Cup course; was a good fast paced ride. The finishing touch was an epic fall by knighstalker on the approach to the last gate before the car park, its a fast bermed section with a few jumps to the car park. He hit the last jump with a good pace and not expecting so much air time missed the last turn and over the bars he went double flip down the bank and almost landing on his feet!! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah but your a big girl :p I wear long socks :D

When for a ride around Dalby today with Knightstalker, had a blast around the red route and World Cup course; was a good fast paced ride. The finishing touch was an epic fall by knighstalker on the approach to the last gate before the car park, its a fast bermed section with a few jumps to the car park. He hit the last jump with a good pace and not expecting so much air time missed the last turn and over the bars he went double flip down the bank and almost landing on his feet!! :D

You leave my front flipping, back slapping tricks alone lol although im sore as hell...and i can count my lucky stars i didnt hit the tree, must have been a couple of inches away from it lol.

Soldato
Just to clarify which way round the L and H screws are: I'm assuming it's low/high when the bike's upright? I've obviously got it upside down at the moment so I need to adjust the bottom one?

Yes low / high when the bike is upright. Can never remember which one is which so I just tighten one and see which way it moves!

Associate
Hi guys hoping for some info; bascially I've bought a Carrera Fury 08 and I've just realised I didn't pick up the manuals from the store. So I was hoping someone could explain afew things regarding the forks (Rockshox Tora 318 U-Turn), what does the following actually mean?

-Motion Control Damping
-Rebound/Compression Damping
Also on the left side of the fork you can turn something but I'm not sure what it's doing (right side has a turning bit that "locks" the forks so they cant compress as much)

Cheers

Soldato
Hi guys hoping for some info; bascially I've bought a Carrera Fury 08 and I've just realised I didn't pick up the manuals from the store. So I was hoping someone could explain afew things regarding the forks (Rockshox Tora 318 U-Turn), what does the following actually mean?

-Motion Control Damping
-Rebound/Compression Damping
Also on the left side of the fork you can turn something but I'm not sure what it's doing (right side has a turning bit that "locks" the forks so they cant compress as much)

Cheers

Motion control just means that it will ride nice under your settings until it takes a big hit and a blow off valve opens up for bigger hits. Just how the damping works.

The red rebound at the bottom is how fast the fork comes back up to you, I like mine fast but you can make it slower depending where you ride.

The blue Compression knob is how fast the fork goes through it's travel,you can set this slow or however you like but if you hit something big the motion control should help absorb big hits. I think when you turn this fully the fork locks out?

The black knob on the top will turn and the fork will reduce in travel, drops the front end making it better for climbing or tighter more technical trails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom