Poll: Poll: should the UK ban the islamic veil?

Sould the UK ban the Islamic veil as the French did?

• Yes, ban the veil in the UK

Votes: 688 64.9%
  • Don't like the veil, but a ban is not the right approach

Votes: 255 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 117 11.0%

• Total voters
Caporegime
why is protecting someones cultural right higher up in some peoples priority than protecting everyone else's safety?

Whose safety is at risk?

e : you didn't even read the OP or the rest of the thread, did you?

the OP said:
Following Moses99 thread about the ban in France - could admins add a poll? thx

Sould the UK ban the islamic veil as the French did?

1. yes, ban the veil in the UK
2. don't like the veil, but a ban is not the right approach
3. no

EDIT: to clarify the ban is not about security. It is about women's place in modern society

Should be a suspendable offence.

Last edited:

AGD

AGD

Soldato
I disagree with the veils as it seems to me that people who wear them are either are forced to (directly or by social pressures from their community) or are sexist. Surely if woman should wear veils to protect their modesty, men should too? Or are men so full of lust compared to women that we should be specially protected from ourselves?

Having said that I don't believe banning in banning items of clothing in public. I do think schools should stay secular though and some jobs obviously require you to bare your face so in some situations it would be ok to ban their use. But in public people should be allowed to wear what they want.

Man of Honour
why is protecting someones cultural right higher up in some peoples priority than protecting everyone else's safety?

Why do some people insist on making up justifications that don't actually exist? Banning the veil would make approximately bugger all difference to everyone's safety. We got rid of Labour, don't keep pushing pointless authoritarian policies and pretending they are for our benefit, we've had 13 years of a government doing that, and what benefits has it actually provided?

Associate
Definitely ban the veil. Main reason i see for a ban is one of terrorism. For all we know, there could be a guy hidden under the garments with a shotgun etc!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
in a school environment, the children?

It's already been confirmed by the courts that if this impacts a child's education, they can be dismissed. No need for a total ban.

on a bus, the driver if he becomes threatened by those with the veil wearer for asking them to reveal their face to match a bus pass, for instance.

How often does this happen compared to general aggression towards bus drivers? Why does this require a total ban to solve?

What's next, banning cars completely because they get used in crime occasionally?

Caporegime
Definitely ban the veil. Main reason i see for a ban is one of terrorism. For all we know, there could be a guy hidden under it with a shotgun etc!

So yeah, you didn't read the thread or even the OP either, did you? Brilliant.

Also - and I almost hate myself for getting into this - but it'd be far easier to hide a shotgun in a big, bulky jacket than under a ... veil.

Associate
[FnG]magnolia;16949279 said:
So yeah, you didn't read the thread or even the OP either, did you? Brilliant.

Also - and I almost hate myself for getting into this - but it'd be far easier to hide a shotgun in a big, bulky jacket than under a ... veil.

Did read it. I still think the main reason for a ban should be security issues.

Man of Honour

There is no meaningful security reason for a blanket ban on the veil. It is already perfectly possible for both private and public bodies to request removal for identification purposes, or where there is a general ban on full face coverings.

Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve (and frequently end up with) neither.

Last edited:
Caporegime

the OP said:
Following Moses99 thread about the ban in France - could admins add a poll? thx

Sould the UK ban the islamic veil as the French did?

1. yes, ban the veil in the UK
2. don't like the veil, but a ban is not the right approach
3. no

EDIT: to clarify the ban is not about security. It is about women's place in modern society

Fantastic.

Associate
I know that is what was posted! Just saying it should be banned for security reasons! Could be any tom dick or harry under the veil, i.e a wanted criminal etc etc.

Man of Honour
I know that is what was posted! Just saying it should be banned for security reasons! Could be any tom dick or harry under the veil, i.e a wanted criminal etc etc.

Because without the veil no criminal ever used a disguise?

Are we banning sunglasses, hats, hoodies, motorbike helmets, balaclavas and crossdressing while we are at it?

Associate
Well, i am all for banning the veil. Lets follow France and do the right thing.

What if i make up a new religion which states i have to wear a balaclava as part of that religion? How would people react to that!

Man of Honour
Well, i am all for banning the veil. Lets follow France and do the right thing.

Why is dictating what women can wear the 'right thing' to do? Do you wish to make us more like some of the muslim countries?

What if i make up a new religion which states i have to wear a balaclava as part of that religion? How would people react to that!

I doubt anyone would care...

Back
Top Bottom