In-game music ..

Soldato
(I've just copied and pasted this from the console section as it applies to all games really)

I'm sitting here at the minute playing Wolfenstein on the PS3 as I quite enjoyed playing RTCW on the pc ages ago and even though I've not got that far into the game, one of the things which is actually making the game better for me is the background music. I always used to turn this off whenever I was playing games but this seems to be adding to the enjoyment of being a little bit spooked out whenever I get to parts of the game where the music score starts to really pick up. I can't play BGM when playing racing games though as I like to hear the sound of the engines. It got me thinking about the first time I played Tomb Raider when it first came out and the music in that was fantastic.

Do you folks tend to keep BGM switched on or off or does it really depend on the type of game that you're playing? Also, do you have a favourite game were you thought the BGM was great. I think it was in one of the Medal of Honour games that I heard some German sorta marching songs as I was in a tavern somewhere. I wish I could remember exactly but I do know that it made the hairs stand up on the back of my neck it was that good. :D

AMG

AMG

Soldato
it depends in left 4 dead I ll turn it down and put on WMP but keep the volume down

it depends on the game if I like the music for exmaple IL2 it flight it has no music at all

but medal of honour it does and I like the old WW2 style marching/war music

Soldato
I was too scared to play Dead Space without BGM. So I played through it with Celldweller's free re-mix album (much like Prodigy) and it fit the scene perfectly.

It was released just after I bought my rig so I had a friend over and asked him to play. He agreed with how much the music enhanced the experience, turning it from an 'oh my gosh what the hell is that thing... jeezz... OH JEEZ ITS A CRAWLING BABY WITH FOUR COBRAS ON ITS BACK" into more of a "oh yeah... babies now... COME ON THEN".

Man of Honour
I leave it on, as it's usually how the developer intended it to be played (I saw Left 4 Dead mentioned earlier, if you play through with Director's commentary you will hear how they tried to make the music dynamic based on the player status etc).

Associate
Command and Conquer games I generally leave the music on, Everything else I turn down (when possible) and put something like an Iron Maiden CD on :)

Klo

Klo

Soldato
I always leave it on, and presumed everyone did! It never even occurs to me to turn it off, for me it would be like turning off the graphics or sound effects or something :eek:

Soldato
I always leave it on, and presumed everyone did! It never even occurs to me to turn it off, for me it would be like turning off the graphics or sound effects or something :eek:

True, some games have music for atmosphere and such, I can't think of any off the top of my head but some are just so boring/repetitive or you've played it before so, I used my own music with global hotkeys so i can do it ingame, or play window mode.

Associate
I tend to have music on in racing games, like a pumping beat to drive to :)
But I agree that over time I've really come to turn a lot of it off - unless it's a very story driven game, in which case I concider it a part of the atmosphere (like in a film or something).

Associate
Tropico's music really adds to the cuban vibe in that game.

Civ 4 generally good BGM, although can get pretty annoying if you play for a few hours, same with Anno 1404.

Grim Fandango's was awesome too.

Associate
Love the music from Sindragosa and LK fights in Wow, aswell as some of the zone music )as mentioned ashenvale, and grizzly hills!) Apart from that, none really stands out, but misic definately adds atmosphere to a game, and I don't turn it off ever.

Associate
95% of the time I leave it on. The rare occurances I listen to my own music in game is normally when there is an in game jukebox (e.g EVE) which btw has some pretty atmospheric music of its own.

Associate
Guildwars themes by Jeremy Soule...awesome stuff

Borderlands music makes me laugh, don't know why, especially Mad Moxxi's themes.

Company of Heroes the British soundtrack is amazing! The others are good aswell but nothing outstanding if you ask me.

Command and Conquer: Generals + Zero hour. China's theme rocks!

I'll say Modern Warfare 2, hate the game but Hans Zimmer done the score and it was immense!

oh and +1 for Tropico, really sets the mood:p

Soldato
gran turismo tunes are always turned off, the sound of a tuned V8 is magical lol
final fantasy is always left running, awesome sound tracks, especially from 7 and 10 :D

Back
Top Bottom