700D Cooling what's best ?

Associate
Ok have decided to get the 700D as i don't want a side window and wouldn't use hot swap. I know some have said the stock corsair fans are not upto much and watching a 5 part video review for the 800 cooling didn't seem that good. So for those of you who have this case what fans did you use to replace the corsair 140's. I will be using a H50 with 2 apache black's in push pull and also three apache black's mounted in the three space's at the top of the case but there seemed to be concern in the video review about the two 140's and the lack of cool air they bring into the case so that's my main worry. Had a look but there doesn't seem to be a 140 version of the apache black which is a shame as i would have automatically got those.

Associate
OP
I want to get it fully sorted in one go really rather then try and then have to sort something out lazy i know but i have some health problems that mean lugging a large case about is not a good idea anymore then i have too and this is a large case lol.

Associate
Hi there, I bought some fractal design 140mm, they are very quiet if you mount them correctly, but in all honesty I may as well have just kept the corsairs and used them on my fan controller.

The corsairs have more flow at max speed then the fractals but are louder, at low speed the corsairs probably push more air (theres not much in it) and are very very slightly louder than the fractals.

One thing which bugs me about the case in general is that the side panel has a really really annoying habit of resonating when you run the fans at any speed. So if you have problems with noise take the panel off first just to make sure it;s the case rather than a fan.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to get rid of the resonating sound other than disabling all my 140mm fans....

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Not liking the rattling on this case at all for the amount it costs rattling shouldn't happen. Looked on OcUK for 140 fans and the choice is pretty pathetic with only the fractal's worth considering. Come on OcUK get us a decent choice of fans and save us shopping elsewhere. Thinking about the cooling has anyone tried doubling up the fans on the bottom of the mobo section maybe taking off the 140 exhaust at the back ? which won't be a problem if using a H50.

Last edited:
Associate
In my Antec build I had a 140mm Sharkoon Black Eagle as the top fan and it worked 10x better than the Tricool I got with the case, just a quick recommendation

Associate
OP
Thanks Bigsharn all suggestions are helpful and appreciated :). Yeah have now seen a couple of instances where case resonating is mentioned and it always seems to be with high fan amounts which is a worry as that is what i am planning to do :eek:. Friend is getting his delivered next week and we have already agreed to put this to the test and if needs be try out some solutions so if anything comes from it will post back.

Associate
OP
I realise that C64 but apart from that it has everything else i want in a case mainly the all black appearence, excellent cable management, size and features if you know of another case that fits the bill i would be interested to hear about that as i looked and couldn't find anything like it. I just want a plain looking case in terms of no led's no curved parts and well just plain looking lol. It's size should also mean it's a case i will be keeping for quite a few years and maybe in a few i will bother with watercooling but not just yet.

Got a friend who has an atcs 840 and while thats a nice case it lacks a lot of features of the 700D. While not primarily for air cooling i am not convinced it cannot be a good air cooling case just that it might take a bit of work to get it there which given it offers virtually everything i want in one package i am prepared to put sometime into it although another friend getting one and being prepared to experiment with it should help out a lot.

C64

C64

Soldato
Get a fortress ft02 if you have no future plans to water cool.

I nearly got a 700d with no intentions of water cooling and thought the same about making it good on air but after thinking...
It simply cant be a good air cooler the best you can add is one 120mm fan in the 525 bay that really isn't going to do much.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I am thinking of adding two 120's to the side panel ok will require a little modding of the side panel but should be able to do that with minimal effect on the appearence. Not a big fan of the silverstone cases although i know some people love them it's one of those pesky personal things :). 600t is out as it is a full tower i am looking for and there is just something about the 600t i don't like it apears a bit plasticy.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Have found some yate loons 100cfm 140's on a certain auction site figuring on getting three of those to replace the hd fan and two on the bottom in push pull to hopefully increase the airflow and solve the problem without cutting the side panel :).

Associate
OP
Ok just to update we ended up cutting two 140's into the side panel and replaced the bottom corsair 140 with a yate loon with two YL's on the side and temps are great. Airflow within the case seems to be very good and all components are nice and cool. Adding the two fans on the side panel definately seems to be the easiest and best thing you can do to improve cooling and airflow.

Soldato
Ok just to update we ended up cutting two 140's into the side panel and replaced the bottom corsair 140 with a yate loon with two YL's on the side and temps are great. Airflow within the case seems to be very good and all components are nice and cool. Adding the two fans on the side panel definately seems to be the easiest and best thing you can do to improve cooling and airflow.

Shame you have to do this on such an expensive case :( plus mine vibrates which is annoying.

I had a quieter system and cooler with an antec 300!

Associate
OP
Well my friend is an engineer by trade and he has done a fantastic job of cutting the side panel you would think it came already done like that so appearence wise it still looks great. I struggle to understand why corsair don't offer this as an option though as it does seem to solve any airflow problems with the case.

Soldato
The 700d is not good for air cooling it's designed for water

That's a misconception. Do you speak from experience. Sort the fans out and reverse the rear fan and put 3 top exhausts in, and it's a top air cooling case. If it wasn't I would have gone back to my HAF. I do admit gpu cooling isn't as good as the best which is why Rizzla and myself cut the side panels. a lot of high airflow cases like the HAF, Thermaltakes rely on this.

I went for Noiseblocker PK2 140mm fans allround. Noticable at 100% - which I only use them at when gaming. The rest of the time they are turned right down with a fan controller. I occassioanlly get resonating but this is simply the vibration from the 2 sidepanel fans. A tap on the case sorts it. Considering going for the Phoybya Nano G red fans as they look cool :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Asked about the resonating problem (sorry forgot all about that) and he said he did add the draft proofing adhesive backed stuff and so far he hasn't had any problems. I havn't seen the case since we chopped up the side panel so next time i am round i will take a look see if i can work it all out although he is doing more to his this weekend not sure what but will update if it works and would be useful :).

Back
Top Bottom