• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Eyefinity gets owned by NVIDIA Surround

Soldato
Unfortunately manufacturers specs for TDP are more often than not quite far out..
click
click
click

The 480 uses about 10-20w more under load than the 5970.

Thats fair enough mate. But my whole point of view is that power usages should never be the main deciding factor when buying a top end card. :)

=

I don't need corrected.;)

The fact you go on NVidia's rather embarrassing TDP value and not the actual power draw shown on tech sites, says a lot really.

The main thing I go on when I buy a card is graphical features and performance.

There you go, pat yourselves on the back and move along. It is pathetic how in every performance thread the same old comments come out.

I agree. Some times I have to check that I haven't wonderer into a green peace forum. :D

Associate
Lol, this thread needs to be closed, it was a bad idea using that header for the thread raven, it's like waving a red rag at a bull. No constructive comments will follow that ;)

Associate
I like how they used the 6 display port versions for ATI cards, to help push up the price compared to normal Nvidia ones. And they rounded up prices for ATI by quite a bit, and nvidia cares where correctly priced lol.

Good job they wheren't pushing for any form of relitive pice comparison.

Im looking foward to the single 5770 vs 475 3 way SLI review when it's released.

Associate
I like how they used the 6 display port versions for ATI cards, to help push up the price compared to normal Nvidia ones. And they rounded up prices for ATI by quite a bit, and nvidia cares where correctly priced lol.

Good job they wheren't pushing for any form of relitive pice comparison.

Im looking foward to the single 5770 vs 475 3 way SLI review when it's released.

I believe the Eyefinity 6 edition cards have double the usual amount of video memory (so 2GB per card)? I imagine if they had used standard cards people would have started complaining about it being unfair as the 480 has more RAM.

Associate
Thats fair enough mate. But my whole point of view is that power usages should never be the main deciding factor when buying a top end card. :)

Oh I agree entirely, for a lot of people (especially those looking to spend £300+ on a graphics card) power consumption is not really an issue, as over the long term the cost increase from the additional power usage is pretty small.

Personally it wasn't power usage that put me off the 470/480, it was the additional heat that this causes since I would be adding it to my water loop and it would increase the temperature of the loop pretty significantly (which could be a problem as my CPU is running in the same loop). As it is I've decided to skip this gen entirely and wait it out.

Soldato
Oh I agree entirely, for a lot of people (especially those looking to spend £300+ on a graphics card) power consumption is not really an issue, as over the long term the cost increase from the additional power usage is pretty small.

Personally it wasn't power usage that put me off the 470/480, it was the additional heat that this causes since I would be adding it to my water loop and it would increase the temperature of the loop pretty significantly (which could be a problem as my CPU is running in the same loop). As it is I've decided to skip this gen entirely and wait it out.

Ah but power draw and heat are inextricably bound that’s why people criticise Fermi it’s nothing to do with running up the lecy bill (unless your running a 24/7 folding setup it might come into question). People who are informed know that if a card draws a lot of power it will get turned into heat which means noisy fans which at least for me is the biggest turn off on the Fermi range. The point is the HD5870 gives you great performance for all your games but without the above draw backs of the GTX480 (or 470 for that matter) and costs a lot less.

Both are top cards and one is notorious for its heat and noise and the other isn’t, that’s one of the reasons why a lot of people buy HD5870 (first being more cost effective). If you can live with the GTX480’s power issues and higher price tag then it’s the card for you as it is the quicker.

Back
Top Bottom