*** The Official HTC Desire (Bravo) Thread! ***

Associate
hmm, I used the recover rom to partition the SD card, which setup a EXT2 partition and then ran another option to convert the EXT2 to EXT3.

So is it possibly a short coming in the LeeDroid rom ?

Associate
Finally got mine sorted, but it turns out they don't have any stock in.

Been told they should have more in by the end of next week ( Fingers crossed )

Just a heads-up for n1blo

Hi, i am also thinking of getting the HTC desire from mobiles.co.uk on orange Panther 30 24 month contract,website says that they are in stock.Does anybody know if these are brand NEW handsets because i went into carphone warehouse (part of same company),today to try and get them to price match and they said that they are probably refurbished handsets

Permabanned
Both of our Desires in my household seem to be suffering slightly from the 'pink hue' problem. Weirdly mine only seems to be affected at minimum brightness, everything else is crisp white whereas my missus' phone is only slightly affected at medium brightness, and not at all at minimum brightness.

Is the shortage of AMOLED screens leading to slightly lower quality control? I might take my other half's one back, mine is just a free refurb from work so I can swap it anytime. Also as it only affects mine on minimum brightness I don't really notice it at all either.

There is a post here (with a pic stolen from Khaaan? :D) showing the issue, mine isn't quite that pink on minimum brightness but you can notice it:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=7215597&postcount=198

Maybe something to be concerned about for those who are thinking of getting one.

Last edited:
Soldato
ok this is probably the best place to ask etc

Should be getting the desire shortly as my next phone and the best price I've found is via o2 (I'm on o2) and from what I've read it just has branding on the boot loader.

I'm not a fan of the look of sense, think it looks good damn ugly, so the obvious option is to either try and replace all the sense apps/bits (not easy as it's integrated) with better options (launcher pro, k9, chomp/handcent etc) or do a custom rom replacement.

Now the first option is fairly straight forward, find apps, set as defaults etc but doing a custom rom is new for me.

Has anyone done a custom rom on an o2 desire and is there anything I'd need to be aware of compared with doing the stock model and any tips to make my life easier :)

Also which 'stock' froyo rom would people recommend, I've seen defrost, opendesire, leedroid mentioned here and I know cyanogen (highly regarded on nexus one) is working on one

Zaf

Zaf

Soldato
ok this is probably the best place to ask etc

Should be getting the desire shortly as my next phone and the best price I've found is via o2 (I'm on o2) and from what I've read it just has branding on the boot loader.

I'm not a fan of the look of sense, think it looks good damn ugly, so the obvious option is to either try and replace all the sense apps/bits (not easy as it's integrated) with better options (launcher pro, k9, chomp/handcent etc) or do a custom rom replacement.

Now the first option is fairly straight forward, find apps, set as defaults etc but doing a custom rom is new for me.

Has anyone done a custom rom on an o2 desire and is there anything I'd need to be aware of compared with doing the stock model and any tips to make my life easier :)

Also which 'stock' froyo rom would people recommend, I've seen defrost, opendesire, leedroid mentioned here and I know cyanogen (highly regarded on nexus one) is working on one

I'd seriously take a look at Samsung Galaxy S or wait to see if The Motorola Shadow is getting released over here

Soldato
I'd seriously take a look at Samsung Galaxy S or wait to see if The Motorola Shadow is getting released over here

Samsung has a tendency to not update roms, and their stock interface is just as bad as htc's to me, there's nothing wrong with the stock interface!! Also it doesn't have a flash and for some unknown reason, the UK version doesn't have 4 buttons like the US options.

Htc has a fairly solid community for new roms if htc doesn't do a new rom.

Motorola Shadow (the Droid X iirc) has a locked bootloader with encryption and hardware to brick the phone (need motorola reinstall) from what I've read which might make custom roms more difficult, milestone was bad enough.

Soldato
Samsung has a tendency not to update ROMs? We have access to their weekly (they've actually been coming out faster) builds. They are working very hard on ROMs.

As for the lack of a search button, I think you'll find it isn't of much use and has been dropped by a few phone manufacturers. True it doesn't have a flash, but when has a phone flash genuinely come in useful?

The Desire does have a fairly large community, but with the Galaxy S and its variants being promoted very heavily worldwide, it won't be far behind.

I see the Galaxy S vs Desire decision simply as, samoled vs amoled/slcd and hummingbird vs snapdragon. If you like weighty phones to give an illusion of build quality, the desire is heavier.

Last edited:
Soldato
look at the old samsung phones, pretty much all of them are still stuck on what they started with, even if they did get updated they weren't updated as far as samsung said they would. It might be different with the new phones but it concerns me enough to discount the phone.

Soldato
Here's a question. In OpenDesire Spare Parts app, I've ticked to install the HTC_IME Keyboard but even after a reboot it doesn't appear when I press and hold a text box for the input method :( Any ideas?

Permabanned
Is anyone running Leedroid here on O2? I seem to have problems sending MMS on both our phones and I'm wondering if it's the ROM or something weirdly provisioned on our accounts as we both migrated from iPhones. I have the correct APN settings, it looks like it's trying to send (I get the H and the arrows) but then it says "Unable to send message, retrying - Generic network failure".

Back
Top Bottom