Trouble connecting ps3 to pc monitor

Soldato
Hi, I'm trying to connect up my ps3 to my Viewsonic vx2025wm monitor. I've tried using DVI-hdmi converter cables and adapter plugs for dvi cables to plug into the ps3, but no joy: I get either out of range messages on a black screen, or after changing the resolution down to 576 it just doesn't display. The monitor is 1680x1050 native resolution and doesn't do 1:1 pixel mapping. Is there any way of getting it to work?!!

Does it need a transcoder thing, and if so, any suggestions on a cable that has audio out to run to a set of 2.0 pc speakers?

Associate
Try holding the power switch button for awhile till it beeps afew times and restarts this should reset the res and it should auto detect on bootup

Also you can use the av cable at the same time and get the audio off the red and white connectors probabily need a rcs to female 3.5mm adaptor which u can get online for pennys

Associate
Your problem is that your monitor doesn't support HDCP. It may be alright at 480P but any higher won't work. As Mongy pointed out, keep your finger on the power button till it beeps a second time when switching the console on, that will reset the display settings and have the console auto detect what connection method is used.

Soldato
OP
Yeah, I was considering a new monitor tbh if I'd have to pay £50 for an HDfury anyhow. Now have to um and ahh over whether to get a very nice 24" screen or get a larger lower quality-panelled 27"ish screen.

Cheers for your help guys. I'll try the power button thing but new monitor looks likely.

Soldato
Me personally I would consider a 32"+ HDTV, fairly similar price, much larger in size, and keep the monitor on your computer (if that's where it is).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
yeah, one of my flatmates uses a 32" hdtv for pc&ps3 plus his old pc monitor. I thought hdtv panels generally aren't built for super-fast response though and aren't as sharp so suck for high framerate pc gaming. A lot more screen size for your money though...

Soldato
Yea depends what you are using it for I suppose, the vast majority of PS3 and 360 games are 720p or less anyway so they won't look any better on a high res monitor + you'll get the huge screen size. Response times were an issue on older models but I think aren't really a concern any more, I haven't noticed ghosting or anything on my TV and have the PC hooked up to it. 1080p TVs are sharp anyway especially at 32". If you PC game mostly though then obviously a 24" with a 1920x1200 res would probably be more preferable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom