Droid 2 - iWant!

Soldato
It's a bit bizarre to me that Motorola are pretty much THE company when you think of wireless communications - their infrastructure gear (big wireless point to point links etc..) is extremely resilient, amazing quality and used world over to power the networks. It comes with a price don't get me wrong but it's just strong, reliable gear.

Then there's the mobile arm who are so hit and miss it's hard to see sometimes that they are the same company (well, in name). Since Moto pretty much bet the farm on smartphone/android last year I think they have turned a lot of the badness around and the original droid/milestone sold in extremely large quantities in the US. I have high hopes for Motorola coming back into play as one of the more respected vendors and this handset seems to back up their continued return to form.

Man of Honour
Engadget review is up, doesn't sound that good to be honest.

There's no question that the Droid 1 was entering its twilight years, especially in the aftermath of the Droid X's release; Motorola and Verizon knew they needed to bring the old model up to spec if they wanted to keep a quality physical QWERTY Android device on the shelves. The problem is that in doing so, they've killed off one of the Droid's most endearing features -- the fact that it ran stock Android -- and have failed to make any improvements compelling enough to warrant an upgrade. In other words, Droid owners, don't feel bad that your phone has been replaced here; in fact, we're pretty sure we'd rather have a Froyo-equipped Droid over a Droid 2, especially since the 2's new processor fails to translate into huge performance gains that you can feel in your day-to-day usage.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/13/droid-2-review/

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Ahh, man, that's disapointing. Will be interested to see how that overclocks seeing as the 550mhz one in the Droid 1/milestone sits happily at 1.2ghz all day long. 512mb of ram is the only thing that seems worth upgrading for... perhaps there will be a Droid 3 by the time my contract is up :)

Soldato
Yup that's pretty much what I anticipated, I got it today and it's a really solid, professional feeling phone - and stock Android is just great with me rather than some silly UI on top to bog things down and delay updates.

Nice surprise was I thought it came with an 8Gb microSD card but when I popped open the cover it had a 16Gb card in there - might be standard and I just read it wrong somewhere but even so that's a nice capacity to have included with the phone :)

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
x2_8d5b8ea.jpg

Stream via: http://www.videonewswire.com/VWP/Sk...he+next+big+innovation+from+Motorola+Mobility

AC is doing a live blog on events as they happen @ http://www.androidcentral.com/perpetual-liveblog

Phone looks quite nice too :eek:

Associate
huh? Why didn't this get its own thread rather than resurrecting this ancient one that's not even about the same phone?

I do love the phrase "perpetual liveblog" though, I get images of a bunch of galley slaves chained to their laptops, blogging till they drop!:D

Back
Top Bottom