What is the best Android phone?

Soldato
What is currently recommended as the best Android phone? My friend has a HTC Desire but is always moaning about the poor battery life, I am a heavy user so this wouldn't suit me. What else is there to go for? Thanks.

Soldato
Define heavy use... Web browsing? email? texting? movies? calls? music? etc.

Currently the best Android phone for battery life is the SE X10 mini, all the 1GHz superphones have poor battery life when used fully...
Alternativly the iPhone 4 has much improved battery life or just wait until the end of the year and see what's new.
________
Amc machine history

Last edited:

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Any smartphone is going to need charging every night, people always prattle on about the days when a phone could last for a week without needing charging.. well yes, that's when a phone was just a phone. Hell my calculator batteries used to last years, but my laptop only lasts 8 hours.. waa waaa waaaaaa etc

But yes, when you say best - what do you mean? Best battery life? What is heavy use. The best Android phone is the Galaxy S atm.

Soldato
The best Android phone atm is the Evo, but that's only available in the US because it can't be used on GSM networks. In the UK, the ones you should be looking at are either the Galaxy S, the HTC Desire, Sony Ericsson Experia X10 or the Google Nexus One.

With regards to battery life, any smart phone on the market (including iPhones) will need charging every night with moderate use, deal with it until new battery tech arrives.

Soldato
there is no best android phone

completely depends on what you want to do with it and how you want it to look

for example you might want a slide out keyboard. you might want a silly huge screen . you might want an iphone copycat

software wise its the nexus one

AMG

AMG

Soldato
there is techincly best and best for the person

a galexy S isnt going to suite everyone nor is a desire, some people might want smaller android devices like the legand/hero/wild fire and the galaxy spiac or even smaller like the x10 mini...

all of which have advanage and disadvtanges....

and it depends on the price

normally the smaller android handsets have better battery life...depending how you use them etc.

its all down to what you want out of your android...that goes the same for any phone sybrain OSX4 whatever it depends on the user.

Soldato
I don't quite see how, most people would want the Sense UI, which now supports 2.2 and has HD Video recording.

It offers quite a lot on top of stock android.

i was under the impression most people in the desire thread had removed sense ?

the nexus is always going to get the latest and best software and best support

Man of Honour

I would say that less than half of the Desire thread people have removed Sense, its just that those that have are more vocal about it.

Contrary to some people's beliefs, there is nothing wrong with Sense, it is actually excellent.

There isn't much more coming in the way of software updates that I am aware of, and best support? Probably not.

Soldato

This is like the 3rd time that I've corrected you over this, yet you still insist on spouting The Nexus One is the best software wise.

It isn't, stock Android really is shocking UI wise. Google have even admitted to this and their main area of development for Gingerbread is the user experience of the Android Interface.

• HTC Contacts - integrates with several Social Networking APIs and pulls in updates, contact data, photos so that they can be viewed in the phones gallery. I.e it doesn't just pull in a photo and link to your contacts online profile like stock Android Contacts.
  • HTC Camera - 720p recording, face detection, touch to focus and a whole load more of settings that stock Android does not have.
  • Email - HTC Sense allows meeting request invites and theability to flag out of office, allows conversation view. Stock Android Email client allows none of this.
  • HTC Sense - allows for FM Radio, stock Android does not.

I've tested CY Mod, OpenDesire, DeFrost - all of them AOSP builds of stock Android and they stay on my phone for all of 20 minutes as they just don't have the polish and user interface that SenseUI gives.

Seeing as the Desire has stock Android under the hood and Sense only adds to that and does not remove anything, then it's silly to think that SenseUI does not add to the user experience.

Permabanned

A lot of people in the Desire thread use custom ROMs, but like me a lot of them use Sense based ones (I use Leedroid). Maybe that's what you're getting confused with.

Soldato
mekrel lol wut ?

so are you saying the nexus wont get any updates to later and better software first ? and are you saying that most devs dont use the nexus (after google gave them out for free) and that the nexus isnt the most supported on XDA/modaco/anywhere else ?

if not then my post still stands and your post was a total waste ? infact did you even read it ? i know what sense does and robbo has already cleared up that maybe people are more vocal about disliking it than liking it.

can you honestly say you would choose an LCD desire over an AMLED nexus if you needed to buy a phone tommorow ?

Soldato
mekrel lol wut ?

so are you saying the nexus wont get any updates to later and better software first ? and are you saying that most devs dont use the nexus (after google gave them out for free) and that the nexus isnt the most supported on XDA/modaco/anywhere else ?

if not then my post still stands and your post was a total waste ? infact did you even read it ? i know what sense does and robbo has already cleared up that maybe people are more vocal about disliking it than liking it.

can you honestly say you would choose an LCD desire over an AMLED nexus if you needed to buy a phone tommorow ?

I did read it yes, I had to capitalise all the letters after full stops in my head but I read it.

Your post doesn't stand because you said:

Most people do not remove Sense and on the flip side of the coin, there are people running Desire ports on the Nexus because they want Sense.

Second of all, The Nexus will get the latest version of stock Android but it certainly isn't the greatest as you say it is - which is what I just pointed out.

I would take 2.1 with Sense over 2.2 without Sense any day of the week. Even if you weigh up the features that 2.2 adds vs what Sense adds to 2.1 - I bet 2.1 with Sense would still come out on top of stock Android 2.2 in terms of features.

I mean JIT? Nice to know it's there, but in real world use, you wouldn't notice the difference between 2.1 and 2.2. I don't recall people calling the Desire slow when it had 2.1....

Nexus the most supported phone? Probably, but seeing as the 2.6.32.9 Google Kernel has been made to work on the HTC Desire - the AOSP builds can go straight onto the Desire at the same time as they would on the Nexus One.

If stock Android is so good, why does every handset manufacturer add a UI overlay to their phones?

Not sure what I would choose, I've never seen and LCD Desire.

Man of Honour
Not sure what I would choose, I've never seen and LCD Desire.

From looking at videos it doesn't look much worse than LED, you would be hard pushed to tell the difference in most situations, but I would still have an LED was it an option.

It wont affect Desire sales on the whole I dont think.

Also, I agree with Mekrel that stock Android is quite terrible, unless you have a keen eye for modding and so on (like Khaaan! for example) and can spend hours and hours setting it up how you want, 99% of people would rather just have the Sense UI and its social integration that stock Android still doesn't have, among other things.

If you walk up to a random person in the street and talk about Android (assuming they know what you are talking about at all), they will probably think Android IS the Sense UI.

Last edited:
Soldato
Imo the best Android phone now is the Galaxy S. But its lacking android 2. 2 until next month. I'm waiting for the desire hd which should launch in October.

All high end smartphones have poor battery life vs other phones although I found I got 2 or 3 times the amount when I switched 3g off on my nexus one.

Another vote for stock android is terrible looking, I run a desire theme with modded lock screen and launcher pro w custom dock.. makes it look a lot tidier.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
All high end smartphones have poor battery life vs other phones although I found I got 2 or 3 times the amount when I switched 3g off on my nexus one.

The iPhone 4 doesn't.

(Don't start saying its not a real smartphone because it is! :p)

Back
Top Bottom