Big Bike Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Bit of a long shot here but can anyone reccomend a bike rack which is 100% certain to attach to the boot of a BMW 3 Series Coupe 2007 onwards (E92), i.e. the strap on kind?

Soldato
Looking at getting a bike myself. Unfortunately my budget is pretty limited so looking for people's thoughts on this one:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider-5-2-black-34963795/

Cant go above the £200 mark. I will mostly be riding on tarmac and tracks and dont really want a road bike hence the MTB option.

What do people on here know or have heard about this bike ??

Much appreciated ppl

Associate
You just made me buy a black helmet :)

i wanted the brown one but no stock for cheap :(

I bought a 661 Strike (blue) full facer in Medium last week but found it to be a bit too small (even know my head is bob-on 58) so I sent it back and ordered the Evo Legend Black instead - Ideally I'd have got the Legend White but the Black is a steal at £42 (the Strike is £55!) should be here sometime this coming week :)

I need to mod my goggles now to fit in with the new colour scheme, gold marker pen incoming!

Soldato
Was up Carron Valley yesterday and had my helmet cam with me. Really nice day, quite a few folk up there and got some footage on the cam. That said, I made a complete pigs ear of Kelpies and nearly ran right off the trail so I think I'll refrain from uploading that to Youtube ( Must learn not to go faster than my skill level allows just because I'm videoing it ) :D

Question folks, when I got back yesterday I was cleaning the bike and noticed I'm starting to get slight signs of the dreaded "cable rub" on a few parts of the frame. I managed to polish the black marks out, luckily the bike is only a few months old. However I want to prevent this in the future. Recommendations?.

I ordered a 6 pack of the Lizards Skins clear frame protectors from CRC this morning ( In the sale - £4.99 instead of £6.99 ) but after Googling the issue some folk are suggesting alternatives can be bought from DIY places. B&Q have rolls of clear Fablon which would work out a bargain in price comparison to pukka frame protectors, but is it thick enough or sticky enough?. Anyone used it?. Helicopter Tape gets mentioned quite a bit too but I can't seem to find anywhere on the high street I could get some from to give it a go?.

Last edited:
Associate
My bike got nicked a couple of weeks ago and the insurance company has just paid out for it.

Now because as of next Friday I'll be working 7 days a week and only using the bike for the daily commute, I was thinking of getting a lowrider built... I've priced it up at £450 for everything (including mudguards, lights and a shackle lock) based around the frame below, so would it be worth getting the lowrider over a hybrid if my commute is the great distance of 2 miles per day?

I'll be getting a 44t crankset and probably a three-piece 24-18-11 hub would do the trick.

stretchlimolowriderframe.JPG

Thanks
Sharn

Associate
Had my first big off on my bike today - went into a badger hole on a quick downhill in Richmond Park - bike stopped dead, I continued downhill at pace :(
Luckily no serious damage - hit the ground on my right side, so my hip and shoulder have got a fair bit of grazing, judging by the stiffness, it's going to be one big bruise tomorrow.

The front wheel of my bike got absolutely mashed though - 10 minutes of bashing the rim, I just couldn't get it straight enough to wheel it anywhere - luckily my dad was able to pick me up and drop me off at Evans for a replacement wheel (I use the bike to ride to work as well).

Learnt the value of wearing protective gear - had gloves, 3/4 offroad shorts and helmet on, all of which saved me from nastier injuries.

Associate
Can anyone recommend me a triple ring bashguard?

I dont want to lose the big ring, and im struggling to find a cheapish bash guard where i can keep the three.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Soldato
Another question, this time for the roadies among us. :)

I currently run a compact 50/34 on my FP1. What difference, if any would I see from going to a 50/36 setup?. I'm guessing negligible?.

Glad to hear you are ok, Odos. Could have been nasty. Totally agree with the "wearing kit" issue/aspect. I always cringe when i see folk heading down quick trails with no kit on at all, not even a skid lid. Their choice at the end of the day, but it certainly wouldn't be me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom