Why is my insurance so expensive ?

Caporegime
Renewal came through recently i have:

3 Years NCB
Aged 27 (28 in dec)
License 10 years

on a group 17 Volvo S60 T5

Now with that i've declared my 1 fault claim in Dec '07 and my Driving ban in Feb '07

price ? £956

Not bad considering the ban and the accident. I shopped around, couldnt get any cheaper than that so was happy. Thats not whats expensive. Whats expensive is this:

If i remove my driving ban, remove my fault claim, and up my NCB to 5 years and my license period to 12 years and try again with bell.co.uk

what does it come out at ?

£900 !!

I cant believe that an extra 2 years NCB and the loss of my claim + points only gets me insurance thats about £100 cheaper.

I didnt expect to be still paying £900 in 2 years time when some on here are getting insured for £500 or so.

Who here has a car around GRP 17 that pays drastically less than 900 ?

Soldato
I was paying just under 600 for the 93, believe that was 17 ish. 25, 5 ncd, no claims points or convictions

Edit - group 16

Soldato
It's probably your post code.

Before I put my car in a hedge in a rather big way I was paying less than that. And that was a group 20? 21? (whatever the highest group is, I'm clueless) car... and I'm not as old as you either! And it had a ton of mods declared too :o

Soldato
^Indeed.

Post code makes all the difference with me.

My grandmother stays literally around the corner from my mother, if I use her postcode instead of my mums, it knocks about £70 off the price. :p If I use my girlfriends, it knocks off quite a considerable amount more.

Last edited:
Soldato
Postcode.

Mine went up by £250 moving from an on-the-road, scummy part of Southampton to a gated car park in a nice part of Southsea.

A nice lady from Direct Line explained that all post codes have a score from 11-99 and my new address was 10 points higher than the old place. It's calculated by the number of claims and the value of those claims (among other things). She said while the new postcode probably has less claims because it's a nice area, the value of the claims are probably higher because it's a nice area and that pushes up the score.

Back
Top Bottom