P55 (i5 760) motherboard recommendations

Associate
I've gone through 2 ga-p55m-ud2 motherboards and am now looking for replacement, what i want for up to £150 is:
  • Good overclocking capabilities
  • ATX size
  • Sata 6Gb/s
  • no need for sli or crossfirex, i have a gtx 460 and a 600w psu so sli would require a bigger psu and the 460 runs all my games on high at 1080p.
  • preferably p55 however i will consider h55
  • raid 0, 1 and 5 (not sure which one i'm gunna do yet)
  • 4 ram slots
  • at least 4 sata ports and at least 6 usb ports
  • ide connections are also a plus
  • a spare pci slot and pci-e x1 slot for future wireless card or soundcard
  • built in power button
  • space for a titan fenrir cpu cooler (no really large vrm heatsinks)
  • Motherboard cannot be gigabyte due to bad experiences
Ideally something as close to this as possible been abit specific and i'm struggling to find anything many because i can't find reviews or p55 motherboards overclocking abilities.
so any help overclockers forum?

Associate
OP
ocuk don't seem to sell what i want, first is gigabyte, other 2 are over budget and contain sli/crossfirex cabilites which seems to be what i am paying for.
And was there really any need for 3 posts?
Thanks though.
Can anybody find any reviews or own this one?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-389-AS

Seems to tick all the right boxes just not sure about OC i've heard asus boards at this price and chipset cna be bad people only getting to 3.6GHz and stuff, and its really hard to search for reviews of it as loads of pro, extreme, deluxe versions show up.

Associate
Was the board I settled for.

If you do not intend on running dual GPUs it is a nice motherboard. It is definitely easy and intuitive to work with a novice such as myself and the results have been very satisfactory so far, though it is very early days in that respect, mine is merely two weeks old.

Associate
ocuk don't seem to sell what i want, first is gigabyte, other 2 are over budget and contain sli/crossfirex cabilites which seems to be what i am paying for.
Thanks though.

Seems to tick all the right boxes just not sure about OC i've heard asus boards at this price and chipset cna be bad people only getting to 3.6GHz and stuff, and its really hard to search for reviews of it as loads of pro, extreme, deluxe versions show up.

I've just got one of these as is running nicely so far. Not tried to OC yet but will feedback once I do

Thanks though.

Thats always the way when you get the cheap mobos for a particular chipset. They bin the parts, and the worst ones end up on the cheapest mobos.

I'd go for it though. That's not the cheapest p55 they do, and all of asus's really crappy parts go to their asrock brand anyway. The Ud-2's are the cheapest mobo's gigabyte do, so I'm not that surprised you had problems with them. (I use a ud-4, and it's great).

Even if you can't get it to 4.0ghz, I wouldn't worry. After you get it past 3.5ghz or so, the real-life performance differences are minimal.

Associate
OP
As long as i get to 3.6GHz and everything runs cool enough i'd be happy. Reason i got another ud2 was cause i forgot to give them the i/o shield so i had to get a replacement mobo.

A note worth mentioning to anybody in a similiar situation looking at my thread would be that the LX version altough slightly cheaper shares bandwidth between pci-e x16 slot and usb 3.0 and sata 3 ports so using the ports affects graphics performance slightly whereas i think the one i linked to shares it between the x4 slot, i may be wrong though.

Care to expand on why you reccomend this or why you think its better for me?

Associate
OP
I was thinking lower the voltages to get better temps jessjess, cause 191x21 might not need as much voltage to be stable. Overclocking higher would be fun but not really suitable for 24/7 use, as it would give little performance difference and much higher temps.

Back
Top Bottom