• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

GTX 480 Stripped Screws

Soldato
Just got my 480.

I was trying to get the cooler off my 480 to install my waterblock. I took off 16 of the 17 screws. Then I get to the 17th, try to remove it and holy crap it's so tight! So trying to get it out, the screw's been stripped :rolleyes:

I'm pretty angry right now, how can I remove this final screw? I've tried a few different screw drivers.

Thanks

Associate
it's always the last bloody one innit?if you use little pressure and a small drill bit,you should be able to drill the head off the screw.but be very careful.think it's bite the bullet time.

Soldato
I used a hand drill when the head of a scree came of in the middle of taking of a waterblock for my old GTX 280. Personally I would use a hand drill and take it slowly using a dremmel is just asking for it, might take longer but your less likely to brick your card.

I've been trying to drill it out for the last 20 mins.

We've finally removed the screw YAY!

Just make sure you clean the hell out of that card with some compressed air to get rid of any metal-dust.

I have repaired stripped mobo screws with plumbers epoxy putty. Just put a bit in the top, push in the screw driver to make a new grip, and then once it's dried the screw comes out like normal.

Associate
yes the answer is it is essential to get all the metal dust off the card or you run the risk of creating a short or a circuit where no circuit should be!

Back
Top Bottom