Virgin rumours???

Associate
That's what the future is for Virgin. I'm sure the TIVO boxes of the future are looking to be IP based over the net delivery....atleast I thought I read something like that before. All speculation though - a lot of that in this thread! :)

So to confirm, the newer "all in one" Virgin modem/routers have Gigabit LAN ports? What about the incoming WAN port? I take it that's gigabit given that they do want to push above and beyond 100mbit net over the next few years.

Incomming WAN port? Cable uses coax cable. And the 50mb modem/router will have gigabit and if the 10 and 20mb modem/router is docsis 3 Compliant then it will have gigabit also. Does anybody have a new modem/router and can check this?

Last edited:
Soldato
At the end of the day VM customers still get throttled... so one has to ask... what's the point?

50Mb customers don't have any sort of STM, and even with STM a 20Mb customer can still download over 100GB a day. So just because STM is in place on some connections doesn't suddenly make them pointless.

Associate
They are getting them and it seems the only criteria is 'heavy downloading' during peak hours i.e before 9pm. Just another ISP being vague with their limits.

Associate
I believe they'll up all 10mb users to 20mb (no change of equipment required, aside from older 120's maybe), 50mb and 100mb will be their own separate tiers (so anyone looking to make the jump from 10/20 to 50 will still require an engineer visit etc). So we'll still have three tiers as we've always had, four would be too much choice IMO.

Soldato
if it was a free upgrade, they could just say its "upto" 50mb, and u just get the max u can get on your current equipment, and u'll have to replace it yourself if you wanted the full amount

i guess we'll find out soon what they have planned thou

That's not possible since their 50Mb network is Docsis 2.0 and older modems can't use that network, only 1.1

Associate
50mb is docsis 3, 10 and 20 are now docsis 2 (or should be).

A 10mb -> 20mb 'upgrade', plus keeping with 50mb and adding 100mb as a separate tier makes perfect sense IMO, far more sense than 20mb -> 50mb where they'd have to send engineers to upgrade every old ambit in the country.

I'd place money on a 20mb, 50mb and 100mb tier system.

Soldato
Don't 50Mbit customers get "heavy usage" letters ? If so when do they send them out i.e. what's the limit ?

Only when they live in some oversubscribed areas it seems. Some people download a lot and receive no letters at all 500+GB p/m, and some people download reasonable amount of 100-200GB p/m and received such email.

It's a lottery it seems.

Soldato
what will happen to 20Mb customers if they won't get an upgrade? Price drop? and will the price of 50Mb drop at all if they are adding in 100Mb as the highest tier?

Associate
Looking forward to the 100meg if this is true - tho even with 50 meg noting really takes that long to download. I wonder if they are going to charge us 50 meg customers more of will it be a free upgrade like in years past?. I am more interested and can't help wondering what the upload will be on 100meg as the 1.6meg upload on 50meg is still a bit pants to be honest, faster upload is needed.

Associate
Looking forward to the 100mbps, btw the router they give for free netgear wnr2000 only supports 100mbps on ethernet, so at 100mbps speed router will be going flat out 100% on the ports :D

Back
Top Bottom