Apple may release iPhone 4 with revised antenna after Sept 30

Soldato
I'll start off by saying I bought an iPhone4 recently knowing full well the hoohah about the antenna, and I've got to say that for me it's been a complete non-issue.

However if they release an updated handset, Jobs will have gone from "there is no problem" to "don't hold it that way" to "free cases for people with antenna issues" and finally new hardware. It's a farce already but that will be the icing on the cake and it's a shame because otherwise it's a really good phone.

I'll be a bit annoyed though if it happens because no doubt it will shave some money off the resale/recycle value.

Soldato
I'll start off by saying I bought an iPhone4 recently knowing full well the hoohah about the antenna, and I've got to say that for me it's been a complete non-issue.

However if they release an updated handset, Jobs will have gone from "there is no problem" to "don't hold it that way" to "free cases for people with antenna issues" and finally new hardware. It's a farce already but that will be the icing on the cake and it's a shame because otherwise it's a really good phone.

yeah but people will forget that in a month lol

Associate
Yeah because its been forgotten since the iPhone4s release =P

If Apple hadn't acted like petulant children about it, it WOULD have been forgotten.

But people tend to remember ''there's no problem'' > ''redesigned hardware'' ;)

Soldato
I am in the same boat as theheyes. Just recently got my iPhone 4, and I have to be stood in a certain part of my house and actively trying to screw up the signal. When using it, I find I naturally don't tend to cover that part of the iPhone.

I will also be using a case soon enough in any case. Still, it is somewhat irritating if they do release an iPhone 4.5 without the issue. I foresee an uproar, but of course it will be soon forgotten about.

Soldato
They clearly knew about the antenna issue before the phone was released and I'm sure they could have delayed it, but financially that wouldn't have been the most popular of decisions. They also probably underestimated just how much the antenna issue was going to be picked up on.

I think for Apple now, this is probably the best thing they can do without having to do a full recall. If the issue is fixed, they restore confidence in people to buy the phone... I personally have held off getting one. Wouldn't surprise me if they release the white phone at the sametime that they announce they've fixed the problem.

Presumably they might offer a replacement to people if they want one. The benefit of that is that compared to an earlier full recall, not everybody will take up the offer. I'm sure the returned stock could be potentially corrected to the hardware fix and used as their refurbished units for exchanges/sales, or at least have used parts available from them.

So ultimately, it would be like a recall, but wouldn't cost them as much.

Associate
I don't think they will. I think they'll slowly integrate some sort of coating on to the bridges to make it less obvious, but I don't think they'll announce it or make it anything noticeably different.

The potential backlash from customers isn't worth it, most people have accepted the issue and the phone is still selling out absolutely everywhere with no sign of slowing down.

Associate
If they change the hardware thus admit there is a fault (again), can anyone with a pre-sept iphone 4 have their phone swapped for the revised edition?

Nope because they gave away free cases which correct the **NOTANISSUE**...issue.

If you didn't get one its your problem.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Looks like someone is trying to spread rumors to drop the stock price.

Historically, it ALWAYS goes up after the September iPod events, so this is a quick fire way to buy in while it takes a hit.

If they do introduce new hardware changes, I'll be shocked. I'm sure they won't announce it, but rather will choose to silently introduce it in to production so future handsets aren't affected.

What I see as a more likely scenario is the possibility of an exchange programme or money back for handsets dated or in a serial number range.

We shall see. I personally don't have the problem.

Soldato
If anything it's the white version (with possible speed hike, price hike and antenna fix) The black iPhone 4 will stay the same (until they release the 'cheap' 8gb model next summer)
________
Volcano Classic Review

Last edited:
Associate
The proximity sensor bug is a bigger issue for me, is there a fix coming?

Software fix in 4.1 apparently. Which I would expect to land tonight, if not in the next couple of weeks, with the new iPod Touchers.

I would be very surprised if they announce that they have produced a hardware fix for the iPhone 4. It will look the same, you won't be able to tell, and they will still give out free cases (even to those who have a "fixed" phone).

Back
Top Bottom