BenQ G2420HDBL (LED Backlit) or BenQ G2420HD

Associate
lol, I have a 27" Cinema display parked right behind me. It's just in a different class (and different price bracket too) to this and cannot be used as a reference. Damn good to use as a benchmark for settings though.

This is a page I check into and I cannot see any bleed. Contrast is excellent.

One thing that is deffo way off out the box with this though is gamma, too much red and brightness is too high standard settings, way too high. Adjustable though so no biggy ... my Dad must have set these up for them in the factory :D

I'd be impressed if you had a 27" cinema display considering they aren't available yet.

sRGB with brighness and contrast down to 50 gives the best results on the benq.

Associate
Can someone confirm the warranty offered on the G2420HDBL?
Some places state 2, others state 3 years. I've contacted Benq and they state that it is only 2 years with them. Is OcUk's ( and some other competitors) only through them and not actual manufacturer warranties?

Associate
im guessing its 2 yrs and they counting the 1 yr OCuk too which is naughty!

Thanks for info guys anyone else on the backlight?, just sent one back and ready to try another!! but i dont want that mental BLB! not that bad anyways!

Associate
just noticed this on the BenQ website:

"With the help of LED backlight technology and its capability to promptly address the lighting changes, every image detail is perfectly rendered with optimized color and brightness performance without light leakage even in darkened scenes. This is especially true for the black and yellow color gamut."

so, techincally if you did get the LED model and had light leakage, then its a fault and returnable?.

I think im going to risk it anyways! lets hope it is better than the non-led version ive just shipped back!!

Permabanned
I see all the praise in this thread and online reviews and it got me thinking.

I currently use a samsung 2433bw 24" tn monitor, 5ms 20000:1 contrast ratio.

Would this benq be a good upgrade, image quality wise? As I find with the Samsung I get the best picture when Im crouching on the floor. The colours when Im sat down arent fantastic, and I hear its a different case with this benq.

However it is still a tn panel, so would I glean any noticeable difference?

Or should I save up for one of the expensive pva or ips screens to note a real change in IQ?

Thanks guys, I just thought this *might* be a cost effective worthy upgrade.

Soldato
If anything the BenQ would be a downgrade in terms of image quality. Well... I haven't actually tested the Samsung 2433BW but all (recent) Samsungs I have tested have been superior to anything BenQ have produced. Also the 2433BW has a superior resolution. If you want a refreshing change an IPS monitor would be a nice choice at the moment. The XL2370 is also worth a look (or BX2450 if you want something a little larger). They are a little more expensive but for the build quality and general image quality it is worth the extra. Problem is that the price is approaching the Dell U2311H so you've really gotta think carefully about what you're after.

If you want to see a review of the XL2370 and BX2350 and compare to a similar (but smaller and lower resolution) panel to the G2420HDBL, the V920, then pop on over to my website. There is also a review of a very nice NEC P-IPS, written from an entertainment perspective, for comparison. We will be reviewing the Dell UltraSharp U2410 and U2211H shortly, too. Link to my website in my signature. :)

Associate
Hi guys,

Just wondering if the vertical viewing angles problems some people have mentioned in here (even from a close distance from the monitor) on the HDBL model, is also an issue on the HD model? I see a lot of really positive reviews about the HD model and none mention vertical viewing issues.

It probably won't be a problem but I am concerned that as I won't be using this to game and will have it on for 8 hours a day or more for work that the viewing angle problem could become really distracting.

Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Soldato
PCM2 will you be reviewing Samsung BX2450 in near future? Also what is your prediction on the price on this monitor in 6-8 months time? Will the price be dropping from the current average price of £250?

Associate
None here. At all.

Been running this for about 6 weeks now. Cannot fault it.

Hey PapaLazaru, none at all you say? Looking at this thread (read it from start to scratch) It looks like its safe to say most people experience bleeding?

Do you think you got one of the good manufactured ones? And overall are you happy with the colours, contrast and image clarity? In your opinion, how would you out it up against older TN models that came out roughly 5-8 years ago? Because at the moment I have a samsung sync master 205bw?

Associate
Or if anyone else knows or has any answers if you put this monitor up against older TN panels? Maybe a samsung syncmaster 205bw (as i have one right now, and tbh the contrast, brightness is decent, as well as imgage clarity and sharpness, mehe)

EDC

EDC

Associate
I don't think there is such a thing as a TN panel that doesn't have backlight bleed, they've all got it, my Samsung 205BW bleeds like a sonofa***** but it doesn't bother me. You get used to it.

Caporegime
Is there any way to get rid of the DVI message whenever there's a change of resolution? it's the one thing that annoys me with this otherwise perfect monitor.

Back
Top Bottom