Sennheiser HD555 to HD595 an upgrade? I certainly say yes!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
av_HD595_3_banner.png

Some will already know how I accidentally my whole HD555 during a modding incident so needed a new pair of cans as I didn't fancy sound from only one earpiece!

I found the 595 for £75 (eBay) so jumped on them considering that the HD555 seemed to strangely sell for more, even though I paid a little over £50 for them in 2007!

Anyway, roll on to this morning, I did say I wouldn't post my thought on them until a few months in but this is something else. Listening to some albums this morning and something was different, something was there that the HD555 had never shown before, background instruments have more fullness and are more "live" now, the whole sound feels more warm as well and the bass was lower than the HD555 but at the same time feels and sounds more meaty than the HD555.

It's hard to exactly describe because as someone already mentioned in another thread, the HD555s are amazing headphones and output an amazing sound already so just how could the 595s be better still?

Example track: Fugees - Vocab:
On this track where the bass hits you can hear the reverb/resonance which echos in the ambience, just like how you'd hear it if sat in an audition hall listening to them play, it's really freaky but amazing - the HD555 never could go to this level of detail. Also the symbols far back of the stage calmly chimes in on time and perfectly accurately without being distracted by the rest of the music, amazing stuff.

It's the same as when I upgraded from my HD485 to the HD555, it's happened all over again, hidden music can be heard and it sounds amazing. I want to know what the HD800 sound like but I am too scared to demo them because I might never look at my HD595 the same again!

The HD555s improved in sound quality over several months and I expect the 595s to be the same, quite excited to see how they pan out :eek:

FWIW I'm powering them from a NAD C325BEE and my source is the Asus Xonar STX.

While writing this I'm listening to them and am still gobsmacked at how much extra music was hidden away in my music collection.

It's £75 you won't regret spending I say, just my 2pence :)

Obligatory setup pic:

av_HD555_and_595_standed.jpg

Last edited:
Caporegime
Very tempting at that price to replace my HD465's. Using my headphones a lot more now and I'm finding my HD465's quite uncomfortable after a long period of wearing them.

edit---->

Bought! They better be good otherwise there will be trouble... :p :D

Last edited:
Associate
Damn it.

Read this, went on ebay and saw a pair for sale for £60 with 1 min left. Did I think? No. Did I buy?

Yes :cool:

Going to hold you responsible if they suck ;) :p

Associate
Had my 595's for a year and a half now, I don't use them as much as i should, but it's an incredible experience when i put them on.

Would be nice if they were noise canceling too, but as they are, they're fantastic.

Caporegime
I use my 595s everyday - love how comfortable they are, wait til they warm up after use :D...

Only have them powered directly from Prelude via a Logitech headphone socket - might consider a headphone amp since its probably my favourite a/v device...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
Haha yes very accurate. They are amazing.

And the desk clamp is very s****y... :D but it won't fit on my desk. Might have to rob the banana hook from the kitchen now, these need more respect that just hanging from my desk.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Good stuff! The banana stand isn't padded though :p

Mine is clamped on the side of the desk beside the daddy speakers ¬_¬

Might bring the banana stand down though!

Caporegime
That is true! Managed to clamp mine to a silly part of the desk but it's all good. :)

I should have had a shower and hour and a half a go, but I just didn't want to take them off! :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
Maybe he will get more!

I compared the 558/598 to the 595 are the 598 is the exact same spec:

Senns.JPG

although the cable is easily removable whereas on the 595 you need to open it up to swap the cable.

I was never really sold on the beige of the 598 though :( It's too.....weird and would show signs of age much sooner as the padded bits fade over time and get used surely!

The 558 looks like it is going to be a bass-head's friend though :p

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
OP
I'm not a fan of that headphone design, a bit too big, reminds me of the Technics I had back in the day!! but they are regarded as an excellent headphone though (style aside!).

I've had Grado before and they've all been the same, very uncomfortable after a long session. The headband is solid so clamps on to your head (and leaves a flat impression in your hair!) and the earpads are not completely circumaural as they still sit on yoru ears and provide some discomfort after a while.

The Grados can be heard from 2 rooms away too at mid>high volume, they are very leaky! It's a shame because the sound given off by them was absolutely spot on even on the Grado SR60.

Back
Top Bottom