Car Insurance for new Driver

Associate
Just to make all you young people jealous.

£366 here. 1.4 VW Polo, fully comp with a £250 excess.

At the tender old age of 21.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
£625 fully comp at 18 with an accident and no NCB to my name. All in my own name too. Here's to having a rustbox!

Associate
OP
He speaks the truth.

I got my 2002 Saxo VTR at 18, insurance wasn't cheap but meh. Admiral were the cheapest (well least expensive!) for me.
Unlike most of my friends I had a new-style registration car, with a engine over 1L, and most importantly I had an insurance policy in my name with me as the main driver on a car I owned. Most of my friends just went and did it all in their Mum's name with them as a named driver :rolleyes:.

See here for my insurance details.

Thanks, this was useful. Yours is a 2002 VTR yeah?

I will try phoning them to see if they will do it cheaper than online.

Man of Honour
When I passed a few years ago, the Peugeot 306 was always decent on insurance (Had a 1.6 for £1500 ish @ 17 with no NCB, fell to 790 2nd year) although If I had bought a 1.9 td it would have been much closer to a grand

Associate
Car/location?

I pay £1500 for 10 months on my Cordoba, 20 years old, 0ncb :/

A heavily modified 1985 Polo and a CV postcode, so not the best of areas to insure with. I suspect it would cost much less if I insured it at my old postcode.

Here are some awesome tips for you all.

Add old women to your policy as named drivers. Your Mum, granny, aunt etc.

Limit your mileage.

Bend the rules about your job/career, I enter data... honest.

Buy an old knacker of car which people consider a classic.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's more than double what i pay, what's your point?

My engine was double yours and it's a BMW which automatically increases insurance premiums...go try a quote. ;)

Indeed the current one is only a 1.9 and costs £550 to insure with 1NCB at 23...if I wanted to insure a 2.0 Focus it'd be about £300...a 1.9 205GTI...about £350-£400.

All cars are different.

Associate
My engine was double yours and it's a BMW which automatically increases insurance premiums...go try a quote. ;)

They're both quality German machines, therefore they both demand a heavy premium ;)

I totally get your point, but I'm still amazed myself how cheap my premium is. I'm just trying to prove that you don't exactly have to lube up for insurance when you're young.

Soldato
They're both quality German machines, therefore they both demand a heavy premium ;)

I totally get your point, but I'm still amazed myself how cheap my premium is. I'm just trying to prove that you don't exactly have to lube up for insurance when you're young.

Oh no, totally, that's something I agree with, but generally speaking, the younger people will have to pay out silly prices on insurance.

Back
Top Bottom