** HP Compaq Mini 311c-1010SA Intel Atom N270 ION 11.6" Netbook @ £314.99 inc VAT **

Man of Honour
Just wondering what sort of games people are able to play on this? Attracted by the higher screen res and Ion GPU and was hoping to be able to play things like Red alert 2, also considering the Acer Ferrari One which has a better CPU but similar graphics performance.

Soldato
I play MW2 on it with the CPU software OC'd to 1.92Ghz and the GPU OC'd a tad. It low res and low textures so not the same as my i7 but very playable for on the go, I've even used the HDMI out to plug it into my 24" monitor and played using a USB keyboard and mouse :D. I'm sure it would have no problem playing Red Alert.

Man of Honour
I play MW2 on it with the CPU software OC'd to 1.92Ghz and the GPU OC'd a tad. It low res and low textures so not the same as my i7 but very playable for on the go, I've even used the HDMI out to plug it into my 24" monitor and played using a USB keyboard and mouse :D. I'm sure it would have no problem playing Red Alert.

Cheers mate thats great, that might sway me back to the 311 as its quite a bit cheaper than the Acer Ferrari One.

I notice on the web there are two versions of the Mini 311, the 311c-1010SA and the 311c-1101SA, whats the difference?

Soldato
I know its been asked many times guys, but this ION LE to ION 'hack' involve the two .exe available on myhpmini, but is it OS dependable?

Installed Win 7 Ult and all my programs so I don't really want to have to re-do it all again.

Cheers for any help.

Associate
Anyone else have any issues with the built-in webcam? Mine simply will NOT show up in device manager no matter what I try!?!?!!?
I'm currently running Windows 7 HP but also downgraded to XP to see if that would 'see' the webcam but it doesn't.

Any ideas greatly appreciated as I'm starting to think it's probably a hardware fault but am at my wit's end! I normally wouldn't be that fussed but the whole point of buying this laptop was so I could use Skype while I am travelling Asia over the next few months.

I've downgraded and upgraded the BIOS several times to see if that would kick it in but sadly it doesn't :confused:

Associate
Can anyone provide a link on myhpmini for a overclocking guide please, a safe one :). Also may be a stupid question but how are people getting win 7 on this? external cd drive? Is it worth going to Win 7 or should i stick with XP?

Soldato
Can anyone provide a link on myhpmini for a overclocking guide please, a safe one :). Also may be a stupid question but how are people getting win 7 on this? external cd drive? Is it worth going to Win 7 or should i stick with XP?

Al you relaly need for OCing is a software like OCTuner. Here the big thread on this: http://myhpmini.com/forum/overclock-the-cpu-and-or-gpu-t2445.html

As for W7, I used a usb stick to do it, much faster and easier then using a CD-ROM, if you have W7 then I would recommend it, much nicer OS, but I did notice XP felt a little more faster. That said I mainly use Linux on mine :p

Anyone else have any issues with the built-in webcam? Mine simply will NOT show up in device manager no matter what I try!?!?!!?
I'm currently running Windows 7 HP but also downgraded to XP to see if that would 'see' the webcam but it doesn't.

Any ideas greatly appreciated as I'm starting to think it's probably a hardware fault but am at my wit's end! I normally wouldn't be that fussed but the whole point of buying this laptop was so I could use Skype while I am travelling Asia over the next few months.

I've downgraded and upgraded the BIOS several times to see if that would kick it in but sadly it doesn't

SOunds like it might be a fault, boot Ubuntu Netbook Eidition and open up Cheese and see if it work theres.

Associate
I got my mini yesterday 311 - 1101SA, i made a disk image using Roxio BackOnTrack, just incase. Anyway everything was going ok, i done the ION trick this morning and it worked fine, no ocing yet. I done some updates then stuck in my 2gb ram. Since then it loads really slow, after the welcome to windows screen i just get my background, no icons, no taskbar for like 2-3 mins. Ive done msconfig and diasbles all the junk, ive done ccleaner, ive wiped my system restore incase it was to big ect, ive even tried taking the ram back out. None of this works, so i was going to do a system recovery and start again but i cant for the life of me find it, i cant restore my image either as i cant make a usb boot drive, i cant find the file anywhere on the net, i found one but it dont work. Please Help as im going crazy here.

Soldato
Just a warning to those o/c be carefull!

I am by no means a noob at o/c and after a week of playing i had a shiney £250 brick, the tricks on the forums didt work no amount reflashing,removing ram pci cards etc worked. I made a ticket to hp support and said i had broke it, few trouble shooting emails and the next day a DPD man came and collected, He even packed it for me at the door. 2 working days passed the DPD man was back with a new laptop.

Outstanding service by hp will defo not brick this one ;)

Just ordered myself one of these, had a good read through this thread and MyHPMini and it sold itself!

Has anyone used an SSD with one of these yet, running W7 preferably? Any Fedora users as well? The latter I'm especially interested in, I'd like to run Linux but I don't want to use the cut down versions as the machine can clearly handle more than your average netbook.

Soldato
W7 on mine
Vertex 2E ssd,if I am honest I would say it is a bit of a waste of money for me anyway
Boot times have decreased to around 70 secs(I was hoping for near instant start-up)
As I use it for surfing and reading it really is over kill in my case
Battery life has gone up to 4.5 hours(although you can take that with a pinch of salt)

Back
Top Bottom